Where to find used espresso equipment

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Wacobipe
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by Wacobipe »

I have had a home espresso setup for about 10 years now, recently purchased a new HG-1 grinder, and want to now upgrade my machine as well. I'd like to consider used (GS3 MP would be great). I've watched here and coffeegeek as well as eBay and Craig's list but haven't seen much of anything.

Where do you guys find good used gear? I hear it talked about in a lot of forum posts but I just don't seem to be able to find anything other than the occasional fully refurbished/customized on eBay at near full new price.

Thanks in advance for the guidance...and hopefully this hasn't been asked in this way previously (I searched but could not find anything).

dvanderson2

#2: Post by dvanderson2 »

I found a very good used single boiler machine from Chris' Coffee's "Buyer's Remorse" page with a 1-year warranty. That's been a great deal for me. Otherwise I'd stick to the forum classifieds.

Wacobipe (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by Wacobipe (original poster) »

There has to be other sources for used espresso machines. There's almost no high end gear listed on the forums, nothing of significance except commercial sales on eBay, and a ton of equipment sold new....some of which has to go to people that that realize this adventure isn't for them, or people that are upgrading. Where does that high end equipment that is unloved end up? I'd love to find an e61 group machine (logical purchase), a GS3 MP, or my dream a Slayer 1 group...where is the market for these? They are not all loved and never sold.

Compass Coffee

#4: Post by Compass Coffee replying to Wacobipe »

Think about it. High end espresso machines are seldom purchased by people that realize this adventure isn't for them and hence not a boat load of unloved used high end espresso machines for sale at any given time. But they do pop up now and then you just have to be both vigilant checking and quick to purchase because good high end deals don't last long when available. Over the years I've personally sold 2 different E-61 DB machines as well as an E-61 HX and Miss Silvia in the Buy/Sell forum here, all sold in a matter of a few days at most, one in a couple of hours of posting. Even a 1gr Slayer was listed and sold last December by someone.
Mike McGinness

Bill33525
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by Bill33525 »

Maybe the Buy/Sell forum could be expanded to include "Wanted to Buy" category ??
edit:
Didn't read close enough.

HB
Admin

#6: Post by HB »

The Buy/Sell already has "want to buy" type threads, e.g., [WTB] SCACE type 2 device for LM. See Read before posting! for details.
Dan Kehn

Boldjava

#7: Post by Boldjava »

I don't know the Asheville market/coffee scene. I would visit shops there and in Charlotte. Ask around. It is a tight, informed network and they may be able to identify a machine that is available.
-----
LMWDP #339

DanoM

#8: Post by DanoM replying to Boldjava »

Sometimes the espresso service people around will know of machines available too. Asking the shops who services their equipment might lead you to something.
LMWDP #445

Wacobipe (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by Wacobipe (original poster) »

Thanks for those pointers...that is helpful information.

drgary
Team HB

#10: Post by drgary »

If you want to buy used, be patient. Keep your eyes open. Be flexible. And if you want something relatively soon, be willing to pay what it's worth. Meanwhile you don't need an espresso machine to enjoy delicious coffee.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!