What would you pay for a used Quickmill Silvano?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
cyclecat

#1: Post by cyclecat »

Hi all -

Thinking of upgrading from my Gaggia Classic/Baratza Encore combo to something a little more, um, classy. There's a Silvano for sale in my area for $600 and change - the current owner says he's pulled a double shot a day, he's had it for five years, he backflushes and cleans regularly, yada yada yada, and he's upgrading himself to a more elite machine.
First, I realize I'd likely want/need to also upgrade my grinder to at least a Vario.
What I really want to know, though, is whether the $600 price is in line with a 5-year-old machine. I see they were retailing for about a grand back then. What say you experts?
Thanks for any help!

Compass Coffee

#2: Post by Compass Coffee »

You'd benefit more in the cup upgrading from an Encore grinder...
Mike McGinness

mauijer

#3: Post by mauijer »

$600 for a well cared for silvano is definitely worth it in my opinion. Is it the V1 model? A silvano Evo will still run you about a grand but is nice cuz it has the shot timer. Last I checked there were not a lot of people selling them and my SIlvano (V2 version) has performed flawlessly over the 3.5yrs I have owned it and I would definitely not part with it for $600. And yes, get a Vario or better.
If you can go look at it in person, pull a shot and see what you think.
Good luck,