What would you do with $400, repair or replace?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
pacificmanitou

#1: Post by pacificmanitou »

To start with, I should probably re-introduce myself. I fell off the forums around four years ago, which coincides with the point in time when I started racing bicycles. I have since found work in that space and continued to drink espresso at home using my lever machines.

Here is the problem. About a year ago my sama blew a gasket in the sight glass, it leaked dry and the element blew. Ive been too busy to deal with that so its been sitting on a shelf since and Ive been using my caravel daily. It needs seals and yesterday the original 220v element quit on me. All the necessary seals for my sama and an element costs about $200, and with freight from europe an element for a caravel costs about $100, plus seals.

There is a rewired and ready to go caravel with a 110v element for not much more which is highly appealing since its a better model in better condition than mine. I don't have the time right now for a rebuild or project so what I really am looking to do is get something reliable with the least work possible.

I don't really know the landscape of equipment anymore, what would it take to get a new daily driver that would work as well as a caravel? Needs to be temperature stable with minimal faff and good to be left running for several hours. I drink espressos through the day when Im home and have 3-6 or so before work otherwise. Espresso only, no milk here so steam capacity is irrelevant. I have grinders, thats not an issue either.

I feel pretty wasteful by considering just mothballing more vintage equipment and getting new (to me) stuff but when all the parts add up and its still a project I can't take on it makes me think. Am I overthinking things? Thanks guys.
LMWDP #366

netgeo

#2: Post by netgeo »

Advertisement
Intrepid510

#3: Post by Intrepid510 »

Yeah you are over thinking it.

Just buy the new to you espresso machine and if you feel guilty about mouthballing those machine just sell them here. I am sure someone wouldn't mind getting a discount to repair your machines to enjoy or flip.

Chert

#4: Post by Chert »

+1: Cafelat Robot.
LMWDP #198

mivanitsky
Supporter ★

#5: Post by mivanitsky »

Cafelat Robot, and an adjustable temp kettle like Stagg EKG

sweaner

#6: Post by sweaner »

Get the working Caravel. It will never lose value.

Down the road, you can sell any of them, or rebuild them for fun.
Scott
LMWDP #248