What to go for...MaraX, Crem One HX, Nuova Musica, Silvia Pro?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
kevin1046

#1: Post by kevin1046 »

Hi Everyone,

I hope you are well.

I was looking at the second hand market for a machine, but struggling to find anything at a good price, and so I have now adjusted my budget and I am now looking at getting new. My budget for a machine, excluding grinder is max R30 000 (Around $2180). In South Africa, at that budget, my only options are the following; Lelit MaraX, Crem One HX, Nuova Musica, Silvia Pro.

I have done the research and found that all machines are pretty good and with a good grinder, they will all make great espresso and froth well.
I would like to have a machine where I can mess around with variables and try different temps and pressures. I would like something that looks good, but at the end of the day, its not a deal breaker, just a plus. I will be making around 3 to 6 cups a day, some black drinks, some white, so a bit of mix throughout the day.

The way I see them are as follows:

1. Lelit MaraX: Has PID (Though quite basic with its 3 level rocker switch) +1, has brew pressure gauge +1, looks okay...though a bit out of proportion if you ask me, though not a deal breaker 0. Total = 2
2. Crem One HX: Has PID (Proper PID as apposed to the Lelit) +2, has brew pressure gauge +1, looks great to me +1, seen people on the forum saying that it has teething issues being a new machine lineup and all...(and that it is made in China -10000000 lol) -2. Total = 2
3. Silvia Pro: Has PID +1, does not have brew pressure gauge -1, dual boiler +1, not the best looking machine to me, though not the end of the world 0. Total = 2
4. Nuova Musica: No PID -1, no brew pressure gauge -1, I like the look +1. Total = 1.

I am currently leaning towards the MaraX as I have seen great reviews and it has pretty much everything I want a machine to have.

I would be interested to hear your opinions on these machines and see what guys think is a great option for a first timer in espresso.

Thanks,
Kevin

walr00s
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by walr00s »

The Lelit MaraX PID controls brew temp. The Crem One HX PID is probably on the boiler (as are all HX PIDs other than the Mara X AFAIK) and controls boiler temp, which is nearly useless since that water passes through the HX and brew group before hitting the puck, where it will have an entirely different temp. The Mara X is one of the few prosumer, non-lever machines out there that actually can precisely control both brew temp and brew pressure (with a flow control addition). The only other one I know of is the Decent.

Seems insane, since those are the two most important variables that an espresso machine is responsible for and that a user might easily manipulate, but that's the market
★ Helpful

kevin1046 (original poster)

#3: Post by kevin1046 (original poster) »

Thanks for the reply walr00s, appreciate it.

I have decided to go for the Mara X with the Eureka Mignon Specialita Grinder.

Thanks,
Kevin