What semi-auto espresso machine to pair with Niche Zero? Budget around $1000

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
dbdnt

#1: Post by dbdnt »

Hello,

I've been primarily using a Cafelat Robot for the past year with either a Vario or NZ and I've been considering buying a semi-auto machine. I have some experience with the Gaggia Classic Pro and didn't really care for it, mostly due to the temp surfing and supposed 'need' for mods. I do favor light roasts for pourover and have experimented with them a bit for espresso, though I usually stick to medium roast with the Robot. I've also become more interested in doing milk drinks, especially when entertaining guests, though I usually drink 1-2 straight espresso on my own most days. I've been getting by with a milk frother to compliment the Robot in those situations. And I am not very interested in just getting a Bellman steamer as opposed to a machine.

My question is which machine in the budget range of ~$1000 would fit my needs? I have looked extensively at machines and find myself in some analysis paralysis due to lack of experience. I would consider bumping the budget up for a Breville Dual Boiler as that seems to get a lot of positive feedback, but I am curious if I could get away with something like a Bambino, or if a machine of that caliber would not benefit greatly from the NZ's grind. I think I have a fairly developed palate, but I'm not sure what the overkill/diminishing returns point is for me. I am also heavily considering a Lelit Victoria, ECM Casa V, or Rancilio Silvia w/ PID. I'm hesitant to buy used as I don't have much free time or expertise to fix machines if need be.

Let me know if I can provide more info. I am very curious to hear your suggestions. Thanks.

Jeff
Team HB

#2: Post by Jeff »

At US$1,000-ish, I'd look at the Quick Mill Silvano Evo.

For me, the next steps up from there would be something like a Lelit MaraX or Elizabeth, or a BDB. The routine maintenance may be a bit easier on the Silvano or Lelit units.

Advertisement
mycatsnameisbernie

#3: Post by mycatsnameisbernie »

If you want to continue exploring light roasts for espresso, then you may find the pre-infusion features of the Breville Dual Boiler or Lelit Elizabeth to be useful. If you are in the US, you may be able to persuade Bed, Bath and Beyond (either in-store or by phoning in an order) to honor a 20% off coupon for the BDB, even though Breville is officially excluded from those coupons.

michang5

#4: Post by michang5 »

Jeff wrote:At US$1,000-ish, I'd look at the Quick Mill Silvano Evo.
A second vote for the Silvano Evo. It doesn't get a lot of love and buzz, but it's been serving my family of three really well for the past several months. I pull 2-6 shots daily, paired with the Niche and DF64.