What Prosumer Grinder Should I Get For Both Espresso & French Press

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
jwjohnson79

#1: Post by jwjohnson79 »

Good Morning All,

I am new to the world of real coffee and espresso brewing. I was on of those that thought coffee was supposed to be bitter and needed to be doused with lots of cream and sugar to make it palatable. Having done some contracting work for a European based company, I got turned on to the Nespresso machines. I went out and bought one and have been enjoying decent espresso. But this has now left yearning for more, knowing that I can create even better coffee and espresso in my home with the right equipment.

After countless hours over the past few days reading reviews and forums, I have found that the first thing I need is a good coffee bean grinder. The problem I have also found is finding a bean grinder that I can go between settings for use in both a french press and an espresso machine. My wife would kill me if I bought two separate grinders. Is there a grinder that can go between both? I have been looking at the Baratza Vario and Mazzer Mini. I already read a thread on here from 7 years ago comparing the two. If I must get two separate machines, should I get the Virtuoso for my french press? I am open to suggestion. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jason

Bill33525
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by Bill33525 »

There is a good chance you will be using different beans for each preparation. With that said trying to change hoppers and finding the correct setting for each style of drink will be a challenge, to say the least. Readers on this forum will be able to help further if you can declare a budget for the grinder/s.

jwjohnson79 (original poster)

#3: Post by jwjohnson79 (original poster) »

Budget-wise, I'm looking under $1k. I'd definitely prefer to spend around the $500 mark. There is room to move up from $500 though. The more I spend, the closer to my wife divorcing me I get, lol.

Marcelnl

#4: Post by Marcelnl »

Get a decent hand grinder for the prep you'll iuse the least volume of, IF that is feasible. Spend wisely as you know why getting a divorce is so expensive....they're worth it :lol:
But seriously swapping between grind settings and beans on one machine is no fun, a halfway decent hand grinder should work for french press, for espresso buy the best you can (used pro gear can be found as great bargains)
LMWDP #483

RyanJE

#5: Post by RyanJE »

Basically no matter what grinder you get, its probably best to get 2 grinders. Sounds crazy I know but that is what most of us end up doing for multiple preps. I had a vario I tried using for both and its probably one of the least acceptable grinders for espresso and FP. Theres a reason Cafes also separate grinders. There really isn't an ideal grinder that can go back and forth. Even harder at your price point.

If you paired a virtuoso for FP and Vario for espresso it would be an excellent combo. You might even be able to stay close to 500 if you get refurbs.
I drink two shots before I drink two shots, then I drink two more....

Boldjava

#6: Post by Boldjava »

RyanJE wrote:Basically no matter what grinder you get, its probably best to get 2 grinders. Sounds crazy I know but that is what most of us end up doing for multiple preps. . .
While I understand the logic, I don't recommend that for someone starting out. It is too big of a hurdle to jump.

I started with and have stayed with (11 years) one grinder for all preps, to include espresso ('82 Swiss Cremina). I bought on advice of Mary at Chris Coffee when I was starting out and emphatically told her, "but I am not doing espresso." She said, "You might be someday..." She was right.

I have avoided the upgraditis. What did I buy from Mary? A 58mm burr size, MACAP adjustable. I do not have the precision driven needs that some of my bros and sisters on this site do. There are better espresso grinders out there, absolutely.

But for day to day preps, Turkish to press pots, I will put my stepped, doserless MACAP 58mm as an all preps/utilitarian grinder up again any grinder in the price range. https://www.chriscoffee.com/MACAP-Doser ... mc4c18.htm
-----
LMWDP #339

#7: Post by jwjohnson79 (original poster) »

RyanJE wrote:Basically no matter what grinder you get, its probably best to get 2 grinders. Sounds crazy I know but that is what most of us end up doing for multiple preps. I had a vario I tried using for both and its probably one of the least acceptable grinders for espresso and FP. Theres a reason Cafes also separate grinders. There really isn't an ideal grinder that can go back and forth. Even harder at your price point.

If you paired a virtuoso for FP and Vario for espresso it would be an excellent combo. You might even be able to stay close to 500 if you get refurbs.
That was one option I was toying with. Just curious as to other options and opinions. Thanks for the advice, though.

#8: Post by jwjohnson79 (original poster) »

Boldjava wrote:But for day to day preps, Turkish to press pots, I will put my stepped, doserless MACAP 58mm as an all preps/utilitarian grinder up again any grinder in the price range. https://www.chriscoffee.com/MACAP-Doser ... mc4c18.htm
I had been looking at this grinder but in some other posts in the forum, I saw a lot of people saying the Baratza was better. That said, they were speaking solely on grinding for one purpose whether it was FP or Espresso.

I do like your mentality on not getting too wrapped up too quickly. I should note that at the present time, I don't have an espresso machine. My wife wants it to be a Christmas gift. So for the time being, its main use will be grinding for a French press or my Mocamaster. But as I said, espresso machine is following in the next 5 months.

forbeskm

#9: Post by forbeskm »

Well I would get two hand grinders, Lido's and you still have a hundred bucks to spare. Change one to a Pharos and you are at an even 500.

But that's me, I don't have space for electrics. Good luck with your decision!

SAB

#10: Post by SAB »

I think a Baratza Vario is a good place to start. You'll likely need to single dose, if you're going between the two styles frequently. The vario does that well, punches above its cost class, and is really pretty easy to go between grind settings for various prep styles. You can always add another grinder later...