What price range of grinder should I budget for?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
RogerDandy

#1: Post by RogerDandy »

Hello Home Barista!

I have a quick question. I am currently looking at getting an EXPOBAR Brewtus or something along those lines around the 1500$ to 2000$ mark. Up until now I haven't thought much about the grinder. I was assuming that the Vario would be enough but I read a few opinions on here regarding pricing a grinder based on what price range your thinking of spending on your machine. So keeping those thoughts in mind anyone have any advice for me or do you think the Vario will be sufficient enough?

uscfroadie
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by uscfroadie »

RogerDandy,

The Vario would make a great match for a Brewtus, as would a Mazzer Mini, Macap M4, etc. I've owned a Mini, Super Jolly, and Macap M4D and now own a Vario. The Vario produces the best grind of any of my previous grinders which makes me think that for the money it cannot be beat.

With that being said, if you want a very robust grinder absent of plastic you'll need to look elsewhere. However, if you want a great performing grinder that is quiet (quieter than any of my previous grinders), small, and has digital dosing the Vario comes highly recommended.
Merle

RogerDandy (original poster)

#3: Post by RogerDandy (original poster) »

Awesome thank you for your thoughts I think I just needed some asurance from someone having used a few more grinders than me.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by JohnB. »

Surprised to hear the B. Vario described as quiet. The two I used were much noisier then either my Major or K10.
LMWDP 267

HB
Admin

#5: Post by HB »

The Baratza Vario is quiet/fast enough that I can briefly use it in a cubicle office environment. It's noise level is on par with an electric pencil sharpener. Off the top of my head, I cannot think of a quieter electric grinder with similarly diminutive dimensions (e.g., the Le'Lit PL53 is smaller, but is much, much louder).

Needless to say, manual grinders are even quieter.
Dan Kehn

RogerDandy (original poster)

#6: Post by RogerDandy (original poster) »

I'd also be interested in a manual grinder as another option. is there a go to model/manufacturer?

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by JohnB. »

HB wrote:The Baratza Vario is quiet/fast enough that I can briefly use it in a cubicle office environment. It's noise level is on par with an electric pencil sharpener.
That definite was NOT my experience with the two I used. I found both of them irritatingly loud compared to my other grinders. The pencil sharpener from Hell maybe. :roll:
LMWDP 267

hperry

#8: Post by hperry »

RogerDandy wrote:Hello Home Barista!

I have a quick question. I am currently looking at getting an EXPOBAR Brewtus or something along those lines around the 1500$ to 2000$ mark. Up until now I haven't thought much about the grinder. I was assuming that the Vario would be enough but I read a few opinions on here regarding pricing a grinder based on what price range your thinking of spending on your machine. So keeping those thoughts in mind anyone have any advice for me or do you think the Vario will be sufficient enough?
The Vario is good enough that unless you want to spend close to the cost of your espresso machine I would settle on it. I find that it has very precise settings and is quieter than most of the commercial grinders I have experienced.
Hal Perry

Joel Bean

#9: Post by Joel Bean »

RogerDandy wrote:Hello Home Barista!

Coffee quality and price along with your machine have a strong relationship to the grinder you pick
to match your investment ability and the end result of the coffee taste and consistency.

Your grinder is the direct link between your coffee & machine along with good water for your coffee taste
do not skimp when buying a $8 to $9 a lb coffee.

Bluecold

#10: Post by Bluecold »

HB wrote: Needless to say, manual grinders are even quieter.
The noise level may be lower, but they 'run' substantially longer, so the sound is more intrusive.
LMWDP #232
"Though I Fly Through the Valley of Death I Shall Fear No Evil For I am at 80,000 Feet and Climbing."