What is next upgrade from Baratza Sette 270w

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Jvbraun

#1: Post by Jvbraun »

I have been using the 270w for about 6 months and love it. I found single dose into a LWW Shaker helps as does a Pullman distribution tool and big step tamper. I have become sensitive to flow thru the naked portafilter and with the consistency of my tools I still get some variation in shots. I notice grind consistency even after shaking nit super great. Thinking a grinder upgrade is in order. Will spend some money. I like single dose grinders as it's just me and I have a nice Acaia bean counter. Thinking LWW EG1, or Monolith, conical or flat. Any suggestions. I want this to be the last grinder I buy. Thanks in advance.

mililani

#2: Post by mililani »

That's pretty interesting. I have a 2+ year old Vario that is now just super inconsistent with grinding. My shots have so much variability nowadays even between back to back shots. This morning, as an example, I pulled a nice 9 bar shot in 29 seconds with 40 grams out, 17.8 in. Right after, I made another one at 18 grams in, and almost zilch coming out. Completely choked my machine's OPV limit.

I actually hate Baratza now. They make sort of cheap crap that at the end of the day is just cheap crap. I'm ready to spend $1000+ for my final end all grinder. I'm looking at a titan flat like a Ceado e37s. I want a super stable grinder that can time out dosed shots. That's all I need.

Advertisement
mgwolf
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by mgwolf »

Any of the three grinders you mentioned would be world-class, excellent single dosing grinders. You could get more consistent shots a lot more cheaply with other grinders, however. I used a Mazzer Super Jolly for years and it was very consistent. If you can afford it, the Kafatek or EG1 would be good enough you could keep it "forever". "Forever" in the HB coffee world is, however, only a relative term and many people end up trading in equipment for various reasons other than it wearing out. I own a Monolith Conical and have been very pleased with it.

ben8jam

#4: Post by ben8jam »

mililani wrote:That's pretty interesting. I have a 2+ year old Vario that is now just super inconsistent with grinding. My shots have so much variability nowadays even between back to back shots. This morning, as an example, I pulled a nice 9 bar shot in 29 seconds with 40 grams out, 17.8 in. Right after, I made another one at 18 grams in, and almost zilch coming out. Completely choked my machine's OPV limit.

I actually hate Baratza now. They make sort of cheap crap that at the end of the day is just cheap crap. I'm ready to spend $1000+ for my final end all grinder. I'm looking at a titan flat like a Ceado e37s. I want a super stable grinder that can time out dosed shots. That's all I need.
Yeh I had similar experience with the Vario. It's not the best espresso grinder. But I gave it another go with a Sette and been happy so far. So much of the online public seem to think the commercial grinders end up being a pain too because of all the hurdles you have to go through with single dosing and the Monolith is where the buck stops. The sette so far has been very consitent and is pretty much 0 retention.

The Vario did preform a lot better when I did the chute flip. I think the grinds just get jammed up in there and you get a lot of clumping. Now my Vario puts out so much fluffy grinds I use it as a backup second grinder to test out different espresso beans. Have you done the chute flip?

Jvbraun (original poster)

#5: Post by Jvbraun (original poster) »

mgwolf wrote:Any of the three grinders you mentioned would be world-class, excellent single dosing grinders. You could get more consistent shots a lot more cheaply with other grinders, however. I used a Mazzer Super Jolly for years and it was very consistent. If you can afford it, the Kafatek or EG1 would be good enough you could keep it "forever". "Forever" in the HB coffee world is, however, only a relative term and many people end up trading in equipment for various reasons other than it wearing out. I own a Monolith Conical and have been very pleased with it.
Yea "forever" for means has meant, until something better/cooler/different comes along. The Mazzer Super Jolly seams to be more a commercial grinder and dosing right? I am pulling 2 to 3 shots a day just for me at home and I love playing to improve the shots and consistency. Lately I have been sifting the ground coffee from my Sette into a Kruve and noticing the wide variance in grind save. As an example, 1/3 fell thru the 400 micron screen and is super fine - 1/3 fell thru the 800 micron screen and the rest was bigger than 800 micron. I would think a top of the line grinder would produce more of the dose at the same size and have less variance......is that right?

mililani

#6: Post by mililani »

ben8jam wrote:Yeh I had similar experience with the Vario. It's not the best espresso grinder. But I gave it another go with a Sette and been happy so far. So much of the online public seem to think the commercial grinders end up being a pain too because of all the hurdles you have to go through with single dosing and the Monolith is where the buck stops. The sette so far has been very consitent and is pretty much 0 retention.

The Vario did preform a lot better when I did the chute flip. I think the grinds just get jammed up in there and you get a lot of clumping. Now my Vario puts out so much fluffy grinds I use it as a backup second grinder to test out different espresso beans. Have you done the chute flip?
No. I've heard of it. I'll look into it. I had a thought this morning, and tried a mouse pad under the vario. I was thinking maybe the vibration of the grinding was causing the grind plate to shift up and down. So far, the morning shots have been good and consistent. It's too early to say, but I'll keep testing it out for the next few weeks. If it's stable, then I think it might have been the vibration of the grinder. I'll do the chute flip thing afterwards. But, I'm still ready for a end all grinder.

Initially, the Vario was really consistent for me too. But, after 100 lbs of various roast levels through it, it just is losing its mind. I've read from another forum that they think Baratzas typically last for 80 to 100lbs before dying. I want my next grinder to last a lot longer than that. I don't want to keep doling out another $400 every 2 years. I might have to just go for a $2000+ grinder. Geez, doing espresso is expensive.

mililani

#7: Post by mililani »

Scratch that. First two shots this morning came out great. The next two, damn grinder lost its mind again. Pulling gushers out. POS grinder. I hate this damn thing.

Advertisement
ben8jam

#8: Post by ben8jam »

Have you removed the top burr and done a thorough cleaning? Sometimes small bits of beans get stuck in there.

Also, I highly recommend doing the chute flip. You will be surprised at how much coffee is in there and how different it comes out afterwards. Night and day difference.

desmodici

#9: Post by desmodici »

I'm sure this doesn't need to be restated but either of the Monolith grinders. Can't imagine anyone having complaints about these grinders unless you just hate single dosing.
I consider it my forever grinder until I get enticed by another toy in the future to try out (nothing on the horizon though and plan to always have the Monolith)

goalerjones

#10: Post by goalerjones »

If you have the money, then the Monolith seems to be the "Greek god" of grinders.

However, back down here, away from Mt Olympus, I purchased the Compak E5 and have loved using it ever since. It's super easy to adjust. Some will argue that it has retention issues, but I haven't experienced that, and neither had Clive Coffee when I spoke to them (they use theirs in the coffee lab exclusively now). I added the Orphan Espresso single-dose cup to make it easier to use.

I came from Baratza Vario (my desert location/low humidity made mine operate better and I had no clumping), but wanted a commercial-grade grinder without the plastic. The Compak has a 650w motor and plenty of power, and it's under $1k.