What grinder burr types by roast preference

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Mashie

#1: Post by Mashie »

Just read a post in another forum (Grinders) that suggested a certain grinder burr type for a particular roast preference. What burr types are recommended for medium to dark, Italian roasts? I will be buying a grinder soon and want sure I get correct burr type.

Thanks for any advice!

gobucks

#2: Post by gobucks »

Is this for espresso only, filter, or both? For medium to italian roast espresso, I think a conical burr would work great - it gives you that classic chocolate/nuts full bodied profile. Niche Zero is highly recommended for that type of espresso. However, it kinda stinks for filter coffee (not sure if all conicals are like this, but the Niche certainly is).

If you plan to do a decent amount of filter, then you may want to consider a flat burr. In that case you'd likely want to avoid any unimodal burrs like the SSP multipurpose, as they're more geared towards light roasts.

BodieZoffa

#3: Post by BodieZoffa »

Honestly think some get a bit extreme over burr choice when most can be made to work for any scenario. Yeah specific burr types 'might' highlight some notes, etc. a bit more, but I have never seen a night/day difference. I will also never buy into the 'super taster' myth either as we all have difference in taste/smell/perception and no one is better than others, just different. I mentioned that as you will see the constant mention of 'well _____ ______prefers this burr type for _____' and who cares, ?!? Ask 100 people you get lots of varying opinions.

My vote goes for a large conical manual grinder as I won't bother with the flat burr constantly/supposedly evolving 'phenomenon' some are a bit caught up in. I am at the point that I can select certain greens and roast to dial in to suit my setup/expectations.

Jeff
Team HB

#4: Post by Jeff »

Although it seems convenient to talk about "flat" or "conical", that's a huge oversimplification that is often parroted.

You really need to talk about burr set A vs. burr set B.

You'll also get very different answers from those that are drinking classic espresso from those that are exploring light-roast espresso.

Realize that most US roasters' "light" is closer to what the vocal, light-roast enthusiasts consider too "roasty" in flavor profile than what they enjoy.

Edit: FWIW, I just got a new conical grinder here and prefer light-roast espresso.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#5: Post by baldheadracing »

Mashie wrote:Just read a post in another forum (Grinders) that suggested a certain grinder burr type for a particular roast preference. What burr types are recommended for medium to dark, Italian roasts? I will be buying a grinder soon and want sure I get correct burr type.

Thanks for any advice!
As Jeff stated, it is up to a particular burrset.

For "medium to dark, Italian roasts" I would be looking at classic Italian burrsets, for example, 68mm+ conicals.

What do you want to change about your Mazzer Mini experience?

Jeff
Team HB

#6: Post by Jeff »

I think the advice you got from ShotClock at Grinder upgrade, budget up to $3500 is very sound.

I found significant improvements in the cup going from a Mazzer Mini to an early Vario (ceramic burrs then) and then smaller improvements going to Pharos and Compak K10 WBC conicals. That last step was a quality of life one, as the first-generation Pharos wasn't very ergonomic.

The Niche Zero continues to be the most enjoyable grinder I've used. Their resale value is still very good and you can actually buy one and have it delivered this month.