What grinder are you ECM Synchronika owners using

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Rustic39

#1: Post by Rustic39 »

I realize that the espresso machine does not necessarily dictate which grinder to pair with it, nevertheless, I would like to know which grinders are being used by Synchronika owners here. What were the reasons for choosing your grinder, and what have been the pros/cons of this choice. Also, would you choose something different now instead?

I'm not ready to retire my current flat burr grinder, but am starting to consider upgrading. So far, from my research, I'm leaning toward the
ECM S-manuale 64. I don't particularly care that it's the same manf as my espresso machine, but I do like the ECM brand build quality, and generous warranty. The company is also likely to be around a while and making parts available. This model fits into my $1200. budget, and it's robust simplicity appeals to me, as I'm not attracted to programable electronics, or dosing gizmos. I like the smallish, efficient design, flat burrs, low grind retention for single dosing, big motor and medium speed. I very much like the infinite grind adjustment design, except I'm not crazy about the plastic adjustment cog. If I were to get one of these, I would change that out for the ss version which comes on the Titan model.

beanman

#2: Post by beanman »

I have a Lagom P64 grinder with SSP High-Uniformity Espresso Burrs.
I bought it a few months before deciding to upgrade my espresso machine.
I'd been using a Mazzer Super Jolly (with a single dose spout) for years, and decided to get the P64 when Prima Coffee got some last December.
The P64 is a very nice grinder. Quite, stepless and smooth adjustment, with a variable speed motor. Low retention. Small footprint on the counter.
Unfortunately, its out of stock, and a bit over your planned budget.

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by Nunas »

I have an original Sette 270 W, converted to a Wi, which has been rebuilt numerous times. The only remaining original parts are the motor and the case :lol: . I love the thing. Nevertheless, I wanted to play with a flat burr grinder, so I bought a Failai ZF64w with TiN burrs. As you can see, I'm a fan of gravimetric grinding :wink: As for why I bought each of these, the Sette was, at the time, and arguably still is, one of the best grinders below a couple of grand in the cup. It produces grinds that rarely clump. But, it's harshly noisy and needs frequent servicing. The Failai is quieter and makes a more pleasing sound, but produces clumpier grinds. Neither grinder has much retention, and both produce good espresso. The ZF64 will probably live forever, so long as its electronic controls or the inbuilt scale don't pack up. I also have a selection of hand grinders, two of which are espresso capable, but I rarely use them for such.

Andrewp

#4: Post by Andrewp »

Hi there..

I am currently using an ECM Titan and it's nothing short of perfect in every way! Excellent build quality and easy to adjust with sup fine worm gears. Not sure of cost in your island but maybe there are specials or I'd perhaps try the pre loved section also.

Kind regards and all the best from New Zealand.

jrham12

#5: Post by jrham12 »

Hi Harv,

I purchased a Eureka Atom 75 at the same time I purchased my Synchronika... Quite simply it seemed to be the best bang-for-the-buck at the time and it has served us well. I then later got a Lagom P64 with the HU burrs to move into the single-dosing game.

Both grinders work well and produce nice fluffy grinds. I actually have both currently in service. The Atom is set up with some less expensive beans for my wife's daily cafe mocha. Much easier workflow for her not having to weigh anything and since she smothers the taste of the shot with chocolate and raspberry syrup anyway, I don't even have her purge the 2 or so grams of retention each day so it works out well.
Since my espresso consumption is limited to weekends due to my work schedule, single dosing on the Lagom makes more sense for me... Along with "investing" in more expensive beans than what she uses; keeping them in the deep freeze and only getting out what I'll use over the course of a weekend.

In the past, I had a Quamar 80E which is a 64mm doserless Mazzer copy and also a Rancilio Rocky. With a good alignment using the foil shim method, both of these could make a good shot of espresso but with a lot more retention than the Atom 75. (like 6+ grams on the Quamar!)

Hope that helps!
Josh

SandraF

#6: Post by SandraF »

I, too bought a Eureka Atom Specialty 75, when I bought my Synchronika. It's a great grinder. I highly recommend it.

bobkat
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by bobkat »

I have the Ceado E37S. I have been using it for five months and it has performed flawlessly for me. I think it is very quiet, fast, easy to program and easy to clean. I have no complaints. I also have no experience in using any of the other grinders mentioned.

JB90068
Supporter ❤

#8: Post by JB90068 »

From my perspective my Synch is a separate element from the grinder as long as the grinder will allow me to grind fine enough for it. That said I use an EG-1 multiples times a day with mine and have been doing so for many months. This was a significant upgrade from a Rocky and shortly thereafter a Mignon XL. I've used my J-Max with the Synch and it offers a different flavor profile than the EG-1,This has allowed me to explore using a conical while I await the arrival of a new Key.

FWIW - I have a friend who has a Titan and has ordered an EG-1. Until he gets it, he won't be able to offer any side by side comparisons, but he is hoping that it will be a similar to the upgrade that I got when I move on from the XL.
Old baristas never die. They just become over extracted.