What do you think about these espresso machines? - Page 3

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
ragdoll serenade

#21: Post by ragdoll serenade »

The Quick Mill Silvano is something I'm looking at, smaller & still has a PID. Although, I don't know if this is more an issue. It says, "When brewing, you have to keep boiler temperature below the steaming temperature (there's a 40°F difference). If you don't, you'll burn your espresso."
If I am not mistaken the Silvano has a separate thermoblock for steaming and the brew boiler is PID controlled, I don't really understand why the brew boiler would be getting up to steam temp.

I think the Silvano looks like a very nice option for a moderate budget.

jiminycrickett (original poster)

#22: Post by jiminycrickett (original poster) »

Someone else mentioned this machine, Magister Stella Professional E61 Espresso Machine. Any thoughts on this one? thanx

Jeff
Team HB

#23: Post by Jeff »

Unless you really want the appearance of an E61, dealing with the temperature management of virtually all HX units becomes an unwelcome chore. No matter what the promo video says, an E61 also takes 40 minutes or more to be ready to use.

At CA$1650, or around US$1250, then plus ~100 for an EricS thermometer so you can manage the temperature, the BDB will run circles around it in terms of ease of use, repeatability, agility, and quality in the cup. There's a brief discussion at Magister Stella Professional E61 AFAIK, IDrinkCoffee is the only North American distributor. Their sales video is at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lyb4_3N7s4I From the look of it, it is a "dragon" (as he indicates that the flush is producing a significant amount of steam).

If you really, really want an E61, I'd look at the Lelit MaraX at about $1,450, which at least has a functional temperature management system.

jiminycrickett (original poster)

#24: Post by jiminycrickett (original poster) »

No, I really don't want the HX. Someone had brought it up, and in the back of my brain....somehow I remembered people also not being thrilled with HX's, but I didn't remember why. So, when I am ready to replace the Gaggia, I will probably look more into the BDB.

mkane
Supporter ♡

#25: Post by mkane »

We like our Robot.

drgary
Team HB

#26: Post by drgary »

Jeff wrote:Unless you really want the appearance of an E61, dealing with the temperature management of virtually all HX units becomes an unwelcome chore. No matter what the promo video says, an E61 also takes 40 minutes or more to be ready to use.

At CA$1650, or around US$1250, then plus ~100 for an EricS thermometer so you can manage the temperature, the BDB will run circles around it in terms of ease of use, repeatability, agility, and quality in the cup. There's a brief discussion at Magister Stella Professional E61 AFAIK, IDrinkCoffee is the only North American distributor. Their sales video is at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lyb4_3N7s4I From the look of it, it is a "dragon" (as he indicates that the flush is producing a significant amount of steam).

If you really, really want an E61, I'd look at the Lelit MaraX at about $1,450, which at least has a functional temperature management system.
I think think the recommendation of a BDB is a good one, and I'll also say I haven't owned one. I have a vintage HX machine and find that temperature management for shots is quite easy, far from an unmanageable chore. It is an Olympia Express Coffex and doesn't have an e-61 group, but I expect the heat exchanger operation to be similar. Generally I'm not trying to dial in shot temperature to the tenths of a degree with that machine. I may count seconds doing a cooling flush that starts with water hissing out of the group. The shots are reliably dialed in.

A guide to managing HX brew temperatures
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!