What are some "lifetime" / "end-goal" espresso machine and grinder options? - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
JB90068
Supporter ❤

#11: Post by JB90068 »

Here is my personal experience in a similar pursuit: I bought a Mignon XL for around $1000. thinking it would be what I needed for the next five plus years. A month later I replaced it with a Weber EG-1 at around $4,000. The EG-1 is a far superior grinder as I'm getting flavors from the same roast that I couldn't achieve with the XL. At this point, I think it will be my end game (5-10 year) grinder. I have an ECM Synchronika that is a perfectly good espresso machine. Someday it may get replaced by something higher end. I sort of covet the La Marzocco Leva X1 and at this point combining that with the EG-1 would be my end game setup. That would double what I currently have spent so far. Fortunately for me, it won't fit into the space that I have allotted for making espresso.

My .02 to you - spend the money on a grinder that will be your end game. The Synchronika is an excellent all around machine. It's well built and easy to service. With flow control, you probably won't outgrow its capabilities in the near term. If you were to go with the setup I have, you can add a couple of grand to your budget.
Old baristas never die. They just become over extracted.

Advertisement
JB90068
Supporter ❤

#12: Post by JB90068 »

cuppa wrote:Please ignore the price in the first post. Just really good, single espressos from a very good, easily serviced machines (in the US). So, not a superlative boutique machine that will have to be sent to be babied or sent to Europe for repairs.
Just a quick google search in the Boston area shows a couple of repair shops that work on ECM, La Marzocco and other E61 machines. While the Weber grinders are made in Taiwan, Doug Weber has a pretty good reputation for taking care of his customers.

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#13: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

JB90068 wrote:Fortunately for me, it won't fit into the space that I have allotted for making espresso.
You live in CA. I am inviting you to come to AZ. You will have enough space and the with the savings you can get whatever you want. Just espressing a theory here.

Espresso Forge is now making new manual levers too, but its not really the same something that is a joy to use every morning. Go for the great grinder first and lock that in and then work up to an espresso machine that does the work, but you also get joy in using.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

JB90068
Supporter ❤

#14: Post by JB90068 »

CarefreeBuzzBuzz wrote:You live in CA. I am inviting you to come to AZ. You will have enough space and the with the savings you can get whatever you want. Just espressing a theory here.
Now that would be quite an upgrade. :D