Wega 6.8 or Compak K10 Pro-Barista? - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Bob_McBob

#11: Post by Bob_McBob »

galumay wrote:Its interesting John, I have seen a couple of times the comment that the WBC model doesnt have the microswitch and flap, but mine certainly does!
Can you post a photo? I've never seen a K10 WBC or Pro Barista with an auto-dosing switch or flap, even going back as far as the first HB member purchases in 2007. I think mine came with a finger guard I had to remove, but that was it.
Chris

hamish5178

#12: Post by hamish5178 »

galumay wrote:Its interesting John, I have seen a couple of times the comment that the WBC model doesnt have the microswitch and flap, but mine certainly does! I have also seen that the Wega has an inferior switch - my Wega and K10 WBC have identical power switches.

The biggest difference may actually be the speed which is about half that of the K10 Conic.

Just to re-iterate, the only differences between the Wega and K10 WBC that I own are,

* Smaller doser lid
* No in built tamper on K10
* 340rpm v 870rpm
I have a K10 PB (as of yesterday). It came with a finger-guard but it didn't contain any electronics, and was therefore easily removable. It is my understanding that the Wega/Conic have auto-fill doser sensors. These would need some electrical fiddling to remove. . .

I had seen talk of Compak lowering the RPMs for the WBC model, but I didn't realize it was by half! That's pretty wild.

(Also, it should be stated that thought the differences between the conic and WBC/PB seem few, they are rather meaningful if you plan on single dosing/sweeping the chute/seeing your pf while dosing.)

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#13: Post by JohnB. »

galumay wrote: Just to re-iterate, the only differences between the Wega and K10 WBC that I own are,

* Smaller doser lid
* No in built tamper on K10
* 340rpm v 870rpm
I'm surprised to see the difference in RPM. The Compak website shows the same RPM for both the Conic & Pro Barista but they show 500 rpm for the 110v versions & mine is spec'd @325 RPM. If there is that big of an RPM difference between the Wega & P/B I'd consider it another reason to spring for the P/B but the Wega website lists RPM as 325.
http://www.wegausa.com/espresso-grinders-max-6-8.php
LMWDP 267

Bob_McBob

#14: Post by Bob_McBob »

JohnB. wrote:I'm surprised to see the difference in RPM. The Compak website shows the same RPM for both the Conic & Pro Barista but they show 500 rpm for the 110v versions & mine is spec'd @325 RPM. If there is that big of an RPM difference between the Wega & P/B I'd consider it another reason to spring for the P/B but the Wega website lists RPM as 325.
I looked into this once. The current K10 Conic and Pro Barista are both supposed to be 760W and 500 rpm according to Compak's web site. The PDF manual says 680W and 265 rpm (???). My several year old K10 WBC says 760W on its information plate, with no rpm listed. Lots of places advertised it as 340 rpm back then. North American vendors now seem split on whether to advertise the PB as 325 rpm or 300 rpm. So which is it?
Chris

galumay

#15: Post by galumay »

Bob, their site is definitely confusing, it shows both the K10 Conic & WBC as being 240V/420rpm yet the manual, which is linked off their site lists the K10 Conic as 240V/870rpm and WBC as 240V/340rpm

I am inclined to suspect the instruction manual contains the correct info, the K10 WBC certainly has a deeper note and 'sounds' slower!
LMWDP #322 i started with nothing.........i still have most of it.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#16: Post by JohnB. »

Bob_McBob wrote:The PDF manual says 680W and 265 rpm (???). My several year old K10 WBC says 760W on its information plate, with no rpm listed.
The data plate on my 9/09 build Pro Barista states 110v/60hz/680W370W. That makes things clear as mud. :roll:
LMWDP 267

hamish5178

#17: Post by hamish5178 »

Time for someone to pull their hopper and start counting the rotations 8)

Bob_McBob

#18: Post by Bob_McBob »

Mine is 760W, 05/2008.
Chris

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#19: Post by JohnB. replying to Bob_McBob »

220v or 110v?
LMWDP 267

Bob_McBob

#20: Post by Bob_McBob replying to JohnB. »

110/60