Weber Bean Cellars

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
JB90068
Supporter ❤

#1: Post by JB90068 »

Just received some bean cellars from Weber Workshops. As with any of their products IMHO, the design and attention to detail is amazing. Every aspect is brilliantly thought out and I love their aesthetic choices. My wife stopped at the bar last night and asked "Are those new?" I started cringing until she said "Those are beautiful. They look great on the counter." I breathed a big internal sigh of relief. As a designer all of her life, she appreciates quality just by looking at things.

I have a bunch of Craig Lyn cellars which I also really like and keep them in a nearby cabinet only because of counter space limitations. Since they are plastic, I also store some in a small freezer in the refrigerator beneath the coffee bar.
Old baristas never die. They just become over extracted.

Kevintyang

#2: Post by Kevintyang »

Question, I am considering purchasing bean cellar myself, any custom duty or need to clear custom?, did you apply any stain to the wood to make it darker?

EdTW

#3: Post by EdTW »

They are really pretty I was just looking at them earlier today.
But it's hard for me to justify spending 320 bucks on them. I've been spending way too much on coffee stuff since I started drinking coffee in May.

I got some cheap Chinese knockoffs, hopefully they are sufficient :shock:

lukeap69

#4: Post by lukeap69 »

Agreed. I just bought the Craig Lyn's cellars without the base and got myself some custom 'test tube' base from etsy.

JB90068 (original poster)
Supporter ❤

#5: Post by JB90068 (original poster) »

Kevintyang wrote:Question, I am considering purchasing bean cellar myself, any custom duty or need to clear custom?, did you apply any stain to the wood to make it darker?
No duty on the bean cellars. It was sent via DHL and arrived ahead of schedule by four days. Pretty typical of DHL. I paid around $200. In duties when I got my EG-1 though. The walnut base that comes with the Weber cellars is beautifully done. The finish appears to be a natural oil and doesn't overwhelm the wood. The bases for the Lyn vaults were a DIY project custom made to fit in the cabinet. I did it out of some scrap Ipe and it has a linseed oil finish.

FYI - the diameter of the Lyn vaults is slightly larger than the Webers, so they are not interchangeable with each other's bases.

Supporter ❤

#6: Post by JB90068 (original poster) »

EdTW wrote:They are really pretty I was just looking at them earlier today.
But it's hard for me to justify spending 320 bucks on them. I've been spending way too much on coffee stuff since I started drinking coffee in May.
I appreciate that. I figure considering how much I've already spent on everything so far $10k plus, a few hundred extra was worth it for what I got. They really look great along with everything else on the bar.

Pressino
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by Pressino »

I use a Food Saver to store beans under vacuum in those Food Saver plastic jars that have a one-way exhaust valve on the cap. I wonder if you can get the one-way Food Saver valves to make up your own custom caps to fit on custom made single dose bean cellars, so you can use the Food Saver unit to evacuate air from said bean cellars? I can think of lots of readily available containers that could be easily converted into bean cellars if we had those (probably cheap) one-way evac valves to insert into the caps. :idea:

Supporter ❤

#8: Post by JB90068 (original poster) replying to Pressino »

Just taking a quick look at foodsavers website, makes me wonder if you can just apply the hose you use for the plastic jars to the top of existing one way caps and suck the air out of the cellars? Im not sure how hard it would be to get the caps off if you did, as there is no mechanism to add air to the tubes once negatively sealed...

Pressino
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by Pressino »

You would just insert the vacuum hose into the valve to open it and let air into the container. I was thinking of using the one-way valves used in the foodsaver jars (if I can find them), drill a hole to fit them into the cap of a bean cellar.

BruceWayne

#10: Post by BruceWayne »

The Foodsaver hand attachment fits on the plastic Weber and the Craig Lyn caps. It'll seal, but as far as I can tell isn't strong enough to draw any air through the valve. I didn't see any difference between tubes that I tried with the Foodsaver and tubes I just put directly in the freezer.