WDT tool... Make or buy questions.

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Ken5

#1: Post by Ken5 »

I have seen mention of people using acupuncture or 3D printer nozzle needles to make their own WDT tool. How do these needles compare to the wires used on the BPLUS or the levercraft ultra WDT's? I would 'think' that the needles are harder than what comes on the tools that one can purchase, perhaps even less flexible? Would these needles tend to break more than what is on the bplus or levercraft?

There are things that I like about both the homemade and the commercial wdt's. Though if the needles can snap easier than on the commercial tools I don't want that. Of course I don't even know how durable the bplus and levercraft tools are.

If I go with making my own what gauge needles should one get?

I see that Medical supply websites want a license number to purchase needles.

Are acupuncture needles better than the 3D nozzle needles?

Finally, if I go the purchase route are more needles better than less? I see that the bplus has half the wires as the levercraft.

Right now I am using small paperclips in a cork and it seems to work really well, but I have seen mention that too thick is worse than not using anything at all.

Thanks!

Ken

cccpu

#2: Post by cccpu »

Just buy it

It's elegant, durable, and a joy to use both at home and in a commercial environment. You won't regret it.
LMWDP #583

TangyWasabi

#3: Post by TangyWasabi »

I have a Londiniun style WDT (3 prongs with hoops) and much prefer my $6 keycap puller with the ends cut off.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QXBSDJ2/

luvmy40

#4: Post by luvmy40 »

The printer nozzle cleaners are acupuncture needles. They are just in normal packaging and not sterile, individual sealed packages.

Here are enough needles to make 3 WDT tools for $6 https://www.amazon.com/Aokin-Pcs-Printe ... 07PVVQ6X6/

I printed a handle but a short piece of 1/2" or 5/8" dowel or a wine cork will work just as well.

The nozzle needles are very flexible and will bend long before they break. I'd say to use .4mm or smaller.
★ Helpful

jrham12

#5: Post by jrham12 »

I made one myself using the accupuncture needles from amazon and don't have any regrets. The needles are very flexible; in fact, I ended up cutting mine off a bit shorter once I finished my WDT tool because they were too flexible. I wanted them to be a little bit stiffer to do a better job of moving the coffee around. I've been using it for probably 1-1/2 years now.

I did use a flap sanding wheel on my dremel to round off the tips so they would be less prone to scratching up the basket.

Hope that helps!
Josh

GregoryJ

#6: Post by GregoryJ »

luvmy40 wrote: I printed a handle but a short piece of 1/2" or 5/8" dowel or a wine cork will work just as well.
What size do you recommend for the holes relative to the wire size? 10% larger?

Jeff
Team HB

#7: Post by Jeff »

The 0.4 mm needles in my "kit" measure 1.37 mm / 0.054" diameter on the handles.

I used a 1/16" drill bit into a wine cork for my home-made tool. The needles press fit into the cork, probably as the hole isn't 1/16" (0.063") due to the flexibility of the cork.

luvmy40

#8: Post by luvmy40 »

GregoryJ wrote:What size do you recommend for the holes relative to the wire size? 10% larger?
I don't remember what size bit I used, but I just picked the smallest bit that let the handles of the needle slide in free and used super glue to secure them . You also want to dull the needle tips a bit just touch them to running belt sander or drag them over a 100 grit paper a few times. Nothing drastic.

Ken5 (original poster)

#9: Post by Ken5 (original poster) »

Thanks everyone! Appreciate your help

Swong46

#10: Post by Swong46 »

Here are some that I've made using 0.2mm needles. Anything thicker tends move coffee around too much rather than fluffing for me.
https://www.instagram.com/s/aGlnaGxpZ2h ... 2139380463