Water Kettle Recommendation?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
davidhunternyc

#1: Post by davidhunternyc »

Hello, I've been using a Kafatek grinder and Cafelat Robot. To boil water, I been using an Oxo Uplift kettle on my gas stove. I also use my French Press frequently. My Oxo kettle is on its last legs and I need another kettle. Boiling water over an open flame is sacred to me. For French Press, I simply don't let the water come to a boil. It's not perfect but nothing is, not even James Hoffman. I know that many coffee enthusiasts swear by the Fellow Stag but I'm apprehensive. Do I really need everything to be "smart" and "connected." It gives me a headache. I briefly had the Stag Clyde stovetop kettle. The quality was poor and the paint easily scratched. I'm on the fence as to what my new kettle should be but I do like whistling kettles. I have a roommate and whistles give me an element of safety. I also care about build quality. I don't know whether to simply get another Oxo Uplift, a Fellow Stag, or even an artisanal classic copper kettle, the Richmond kettle. Though not modern, Richmond kettles are sights to behold. Your recommendations and help are welcome. Thank you.

LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#2: Post by LBIespresso »

I too am looking for a stove top non-goosenneck kettle.

Has anyone heard anything about the Fellow Clyde Stovetop Tea Kettle?

I am surprised I hadn't heard anything about it. How long has it been around? Is it any good?

I'm also here for any better ideas :D
LMWDP #580

davidhunternyc (original poster)

#3: Post by davidhunternyc (original poster) »

^^^ Yes, I had the Clyde kettle for about a week. It was horrible. The quality is worse than the Oxo Uplift. The paint easily scratches off and the whistle, though nice sounding when it works, often does not work. Also, because the base is more narrow than the Uplift kettle, you must use a lower flame and it takes longer to boil water. To be clear, the whistle on the Uplift kettle isn't great either.

caeffe

#4: Post by caeffe »

davidhunternyc wrote:Hello, I've been using a Kafatek grinder and Cafelat Robot. To boil water, I been using an Oxo Uplift kettle on my gas stove. ... My Oxo kettle is on its last legs and I need another kettle. Boiling water over an open flame is sacred to me. ....... Do I really need everything to be "smart" and "connected." .... I do like whistling kettles. ....Though not modern, Richmond kettles are sights to behold. Your recommendations and help are welcome. Thank you.

I don't have a specific rec but can give you some insight into what to think about.

Had not heard/seen of Richmond kettles - agree that they are a sight to behold.
What do you want to do with the kettle other than boil water?
1) boil to a certain temperature?
2) whistling/tell me when its at the temp setting
3) general purpose hot water (instant soup, tea) that a gooseneck isn't reqd
4) use for pourover?
5) capacity?

I have a Stagg EKG kettle (gift from wife) and it'll do 1 and 4 very well but 2 (it stops and holds the temp) somewhat ok since no audio or visual que that its done and 3 will require patience from the user and may cause some wrist ergonomic issues. See the Hario Tetsuya Pourover kettle for what I mean by #3 https://www.hario-usa.com/collections/k ... rol-kettle
I like to use the Stagg Kettle's ability to set it at a temperature for various types of teas since using water meant for black tea with green tea will result in a bitter brew - similar to dark roast using lower temp relative to lightly roasted coffee. However, using the gooseneck is a pain for tea (or even say instant ramen) while pouring the water out of the kettle without the lid since using the handle to tip can cause carpal tunnel syndrome if done too often.

We also had a Zojirushi water boiler and it'll do 1-3 above well (no whistle but a tune which can be good/bad), 4 will mean another gooseneck for doing pourover to transfer.

So... take a look at the various kettles out there and decide - open flame? electric with PID control? gooseneck?
Since boiling over an open flame is sacred to you, maybe the Tetsuya Pourover kettle or even the Hario beehive kettle can be an option if the Richmond beehive catches your fancy. I don't think you need it to be "connected" but "smart" aka PID control can be helpful especially for the Robot
LMWDP #162

ira
Team HB

#5: Post by ira »

I think that traditionally, one would boil water in a kettle, like a whistling kettle, and then pour into a gooseneck kettle for brewing. That method gives you the advantage of having a kettle for tea and other drinks that need hot water fast and then pouring into a second kettle for controlled pouring which also drops the temperature for coffee. I use a Fellow Stag from the Kick Starter release. Before that a Bonavita electric gooseneck kettle and before that an ancient Russel Hobbs. I liked all of them, but each move forward made brewing a pour over easier.

Yum

#6: Post by Yum »

I have chemex induction kettle. They stopped making it but I use it EVERY DAY. I also have a brewista love it ! The fellow was my first. Hated it. Yep paint peeled off just like you said .
THAT'S MY STORY !

daustin777

#7: Post by daustin777 »

I use a Fellow Stagg daily but I also have a stovetop when I need extra water, fast pouring, or don't need a gooseneck.
Demeyere Resto Kettle
David Austin

Lemeduit

#8: Post by Lemeduit »

OXO is a workshop in my home. Over a year with average use of about 3 full kettles a day. It's fast as hell!

RyanJE

#9: Post by RyanJE »

Also an oxo here! If you can get a holiday deal on one, won't be disappointed..
I drink two shots before I drink two shots, then I drink two more....

Acavia

#10: Post by Acavia »

davidhunternyc wrote:Hello, I've been using a Kafatek grinder and Cafelat Robot. To boil water, I been using an Oxo Uplift kettle on my gas stove. I also use my French Press frequently.

If you do French Press, do not get a Fellow Stagg, or if you do get one, use it only for other brewing methods and have a different kettle for French Press use - the Stagg flow restriction, a good feature for typical pour-over brewing, will be torturously slow for French Press pouring.