Want to upgrade my Timemore C2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
finalfour

#1: Post by finalfour »

Hi everyone!

Quick question, I want to upgrade my Timemore C2 to a better grinder. No issues so far with it but it needs an upgrade. I will like the best possible grinder for pour-over, I'm not interested on espresso. Don't have a budget in my mind (perhaps I feel the Commandante is a bit expensive, but don't get me wrong, is worth it... but I suppose there are better alternatives?), I don't mind using an electric grinder but I suppose most of them are for espresso.

I was looking into the 1zpresso and Kingrinder alternatives but the 1zpresso lineup is a bit confusing and I don't see a lot of info on Kingrinder.

Usually I grind around 60 to 90 grams per day, 5 or 6 days at week, only medium roasts.

Thanks!

erik82

#2: Post by erik82 »

For pourover buy the Commandante if you really want a good upgrade. It's worth the money. If you really want to have a truly great pourover grinder it'll be much more expensive (80mm flat burr bulk grinders, Lagom P64 or other 64mm SSP burr grinder).

iyayy

#3: Post by iyayy »

c2 is quite good. i still use it in my office.
1z k burr is better, but difference going from cheap ceramic grinder to c2 is bigger than c2 to 1z k.

i do appreciate the satisfaction of using premium construction, but my reason for upgrade was to do espresso as well.

from here its probably an option. unless you get used to the cups or compare side by side, difference is more selective to your preference and taste bud.. and maybe buyers remorse xD.

i think ur question would be around what you might feel or lose out not going c40 since the price gets close and maybe u'd have the itch to know the cups after getting someting in between.

i do find any ssp 64mm in my df64 to be noticeable step up from my k burr, with regards to flavor and intensity. but then u'l be looking at much more. i feel ssp is worth it, it made me want to enjoy drip more instead of makinglatte (i dont drink straight shots much if at all). go cast ls if you prefer similar profile (but more intense and juicy taste), or mp if u dont mind tea like coffee with sweeter acid notes but less sweet body. u will need to adjust brew dose and temp since they extract differently.

imo i'd suggest a satisfying electric footprint like lagom mini moonshine, fellow ode (v2 or ssp.. i might guess v2 burr would be an upgrade vs c2 since there's the flat vs conical). ode do have the options of ssp upgrade down the years. too much hand grinding can sometime feels old. i'd rather spend my time brewing with flannel instead (its awesome!).

its is pricy, but those 2 still intrigues me personally as 2nd grinder now that i have df64 eith ssp mp, with my 1z k as my travel grinder, and c2 kept in office. lagom mini is cute enough to be a travel grinder as long as u have electricity.

i'd also look at 1z q2 7burr, said to be closest to c40, but its cheaper if you can find it, and very close in form (grip feel) to c2 but much nicer user feel. even with stock 5burr is fine since you only do drip.

sorry long post. good luck hunting.

wormraper

#4: Post by wormraper »

Kmax or commandante. The kmax is distinctly better than the c2 to and very very close to the commandante.

finalfour (original poster)

#5: Post by finalfour (original poster) »

Thank you so much all of you for your replies and @iyayy thanks for the detailed info and point of view.

Well, after some research I'm between C40 and K Max. I feel like I'm 95% off buying the K Max, not only for the price but because it looks really nice, I like the top click system and the C40 is a bit slower. Also, I saw some interesting options like Lagon Mini O and the DF64 but I prefer to save that money for a future espresso-only grinder. I prefer to have a grinder for pour-over and another one just for espresso, but that would happen later.

And for anyone looking for C2 as a grinder entry to this world, do it. The quality - price relation is really good. Of course, there are some 1zpresso, Kingrinder, Kinu options, but Timemore is really good, I used my C2 on a daily basis for almost 2 years, and no complaints at all really.

Jonk

#6: Post by Jonk »

If you want to save a bit of money you can go for the 1zpresso Q2 7-core or their new X-Pro https://1zpresso.com/xpro/

I upgraded from a Timemore G1 to a 1zpresso K-Max that I'm pretty happy with. Well worth it - capable espresso grinder too - but if the X-Pro was available at the time I think I'd have preferred it because of the smaller footprint (that probably means better grip as well) and lower price.

finalfour (original poster)

#7: Post by finalfour (original poster) »

Jonk wrote:If you want to save a bit of money you can go for the 1zpresso Q2 7-core or their new X-Pro https://1zpresso.com/xpro/

I upgraded from a Timemore G1 to a 1zpresso K-Max which I'm pretty happy with. Well worth it - capable espresso grinder too - but if the X-Pro was available at the time I think I'd have preferred it because of the smaller footprint (that probably means better grip as well) and lower price.
Thanks for letting me know about the X-Pro! I didn't know about this, looks fairly new. Do you know if this X-Pro is like the Q2 Heptagonal but bigger? Because the burrs look similar to the Q2 but not sure. 1Zpresso lineup is hard to follow.

Jonk

#8: Post by Jonk »

I'm not completely sure - but I think Q2 "heptagonal", K and X is actually using the same burr. I guess X-Pro is somewhere in between Q2 and the K series in terms of size and build.

wormraper

#9: Post by wormraper replying to Jonk »

it's not exactly the same, but it's STUPID close. the Q2 tastes nearly identical to my K-max when dialed in. IT just of course is limited to 20 grams of coffee and doesn't have the whicked cool adjustment wheel of the K series and all of the goodies in the box

wormraper

#10: Post by wormraper »

finalfour wrote:Thanks for letting me know about the X-Pro! I didn't know about this, looks fairly new. Do you know if this X-Pro is like the Q2 Heptagonal but bigger? Because the burrs look similar to the Q2 but not sure. 1Zpresso lineup is hard to follow.
The X-pro isn't available in the U.S. market just yet, although the Cafune.ca has it I noticed. Looking closely at it it looks like a Q2 burr set and size, with the JX-pro's 12.5 micron adjustments (double that of the Q2 heptagonal and penta) and the K series external adjustment wheel. That looks to be a q2 killer that could possibly do espresso in for travel.