Want to upgrade my Timemore C2 - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Jonk

#11: Post by Jonk »

finalfour wrote:1Zpresso lineup is hard to follow.
Case in point above :lol: I've read that there's an old and new version of the Q2 hept burr.. as well as an old and new version of the K-series burr. Sure would be nice to see a close-up of all four or possibly more versions next to each other, with measurements..

For ergonomic reasons, I wish the K-Max had a shorter crank (or adjustable length, like the upcoming Momentem grinder) and a slimmer body. Those were things I preferred with the Timemore. Light roasts at espresso settings can make it a little challenging to grip the K-Max, but at least it's better than the much wider C40 in that regard. It's just a small nitpick for other grind sizes, but the K-Max just feels a bit bigger than it needs to be.

wormraper

#12: Post by wormraper replying to Jonk »

from talking to 1zpresso the burr change for the new heptagonal is nothing but a surface treatment change. the burr design itself is identical. the Q2 will have the same burr as the "older" heptagonal Q2 burr... the X-Pro is slightly different with a 40 mm burr instead of 38mm, but it's VERY similar to the Q2 burr

gobucks

#13: Post by gobucks »

I recently bought a Comandante C40 and it's great. Excellent grind quality and build, maybe not the fastest, but the grind is really effortless (especially if you buy the XL crank, which I'd recommend). The other one I was considering is the 1Zpresso K-Max, seems quite similar in quality, has a nice external dial, and quite a bit faster due to the larger burrs. The K-Max is cheaper at retail in the US, although I found a great deal on the Comandante via a European seller (https://www.cremashop.eu/en/products/co ... inder/3595) (it's the MK4 despite the title in the link). At a similar price, I preferred the Comandante due to the better resale value. Both seem excellent though.

wormraper

#14: Post by wormraper replying to gobucks »

I have one on the way. hope to compare it to the K-max I have too.

also, to the OP... I talked to 1zpresso. It looks like the X-pro was an attempt to hybridize the Q2 and the JX-pro. The size is half way between a q2 and JX, but it uses 40 mm burrs (though I'm betting that's a fib as i'm betting it's a 39mm clone of the Commandante) instead of the 38mm burrs of the Q2... but it also uses the 12.5 micron adjustemens that the JX-Pro was famous for. the new exterior ring adjuster is actually EASIER to adjust and recalibrate than the K-Max/K-Pro/K-Plus too. Like shockingly easy. personally I don't think it's a replacement for the Q2 as the Q is tinier and has a cheaper price point. But I consider it more like the JX-Pro is to the JX.....most likely to be sold side by side too. Think of it as a beefier Q2 heptagonal on steroids

Meta coffee really breaks it down too

BTW... OP. I have the Q2 Heptagonal, the K-max, the Commandante, and I just ordered the X-Pro today to compare, so I'll have all 4 and have had the Timemore C2 in the past, so you can ask me anything about them if you want.

finalfour (original poster)

#15: Post by finalfour (original poster) »

wormraper wrote:I have one on the way. hope to compare it to the K-max I have too.

also, to the OP... I talked to 1zpresso. It looks like the X-pro was an attempt to hybridize the Q2 and the JX-pro. The size is half way between a q2 and JX, but it uses 40 mm burrs (though I'm betting that's a fib as i'm betting it's a 39mm clone of the Commandante) instead of the 38mm burrs of the Q2... but it also uses the 12.5 micron adjustemens that the JX-Pro was famous for. the new exterior ring adjuster is actually EASIER to adjust and recalibrate than the K-Max/K-Pro/K-Plus too. Like shockingly easy. personally I don't think it's a replacement for the Q2 as the Q is tinier and has a cheaper price point. But I consider it more like the JX-Pro is to the JX.....most likely to be sold side by side too. Think of it as a beefier Q2 heptagonal on steroids

Meta coffee really breaks it down too

video

BTW... OP. I have the Q2 Heptagonal, the K-max, the Commandante, and I just ordered the X-Pro today to compare, so I'll have all 4 and have had the Timemore C2 in the past, so you can ask me anything about them if you want.
Thank you so much for your feedback! Hard to decide, I have the money but not a proper answer. I love balanced cups and/or good sweetness, and that's why I'm towards Comandante or KMax or the Q2 Hepta. Because I'm not into the Espresso hobby I don't need espresso functionalities. The C2 is really good for the price! But sometimes I felt like I'm missing some clarity and sweetness. Maybe my perception?

Question for you, it looks like the Kmax and C40 had similar flavor profiles, what do you think? The Kmax looks very robust and well-made. Of course, C40 is great but it doesn't look as good built as the Kmax.

Also, I would love to buy the Xpro, because of the top mechanism and the size, and everything looks great on paper. I'm just worried about the microns and finest grind because -maybe- that can enhance the acidity and not the balance. But I'm not sure, I'm just waiting for more reviews of it.

In any case, I'm being picky because from all of these options I know each one is top-notch, is just I want to be sure to upgrade and not to do a lateral move in my election.

Jonk

#16: Post by Jonk »

For me the K-Max felt like an upgrade in every sense as far as flavor goes. It's also better built and a lot nicer to have external adjustment. That's coming from the Timemore G1 which is basically a more premium version of C2.

I'll reluctantly admit that C40 might edge the K-Max a bit when it comes to flavor. That is only from memory, compared against a reference grinder.. Can't say for sure until I've tested them side by side and YMMV. C40 is also a bit more stylish if you get one with wood veneer - but it falls short in ergonomics, build, features and business practices (google comandante suing timemore)

wormraper

#17: Post by wormraper »

finalfour wrote:Thank you so much for your feedback! Hard to decide, I have the money but not a proper answer. I love balanced cups and/or good sweetness, and that's why I'm towards Comandante or KMax or the Q2 Hepta. Because I'm not into the Espresso hobby I don't need espresso functionalities. The C2 is really good for the price! But sometimes I felt like I'm missing some clarity and sweetness. Maybe my perception?

Question for you, it looks like the Kmax and C40 had similar flavor profiles, what do you think? The Kmax looks very robust and well-made. Of course, C40 is great but it doesn't look as good built as the Kmax.

Also, I would love to buy the Xpro, because of the top mechanism and the size, and everything looks great on paper. I'm just worried about the microns and finest grind because -maybe- that can enhance the acidity and not the balance. But I'm not sure, I'm just waiting for more reviews of it.

In any case, I'm being picky because from all of these options I know each one is top-notch, is just I want to be sure to upgrade and not to do a lateral move in my election.

They are all a significant upgrade over the C2. It's not going to be going from blade grinder to Timemore C2 jump, but it's a very significant upgrade flavor wise. The burr for the C2 is great for a budget grinder, but if you're picky the heptagonal burrs tear it apart.

the Q2 hepta is a great little grinder and STUPID close to the C40 in taste. Like way closer than a $99 grinder has any right to be. It's got all aluminum construction and grinds really easily due to the 7 core burrs (though it takes a bit longer than the C2...just a few seconds). However, it's downsides are that it's smaller and bigger handed people might have an issue with that. And it only holds 20 grams comfortably. Also the adjustment system is like the C40 where you basically have to count clicks and it's on the bottom...

The K-max and the Q2 taste REALLY similar. However, the K series burrs are cleaner with better separation of flavors. it has a thinner body and tastes very clean. Is it worth $140 over the cost of the Q2? If you have the money, yes. The outer ring adjustment system is incredible. It blows away the Q2 and the C40 adjustment system, is fully external, and you can return to the same number every time you switch grinds without taking it apart or counting clicks. It's also bigger and easier to hold on to and holds 40 grams. Also comes with a cylindrical carry case, an air bellows to clean out your grinder, and feels like a TANK

The C40 is the OG. Compared to the K-max it is slightly sweeter, slightly more well rounded, but less flavor separation and slightly less clarity. It's more complex. But It is pure nitpickery at this point. Both are great, but it's just those little nit picky things that stand out. I prefer some brews in teh K-max, some in the Commandante. very malic cups do very well in the K-max, while sweeter and less citrus, more strawberry and cherry tones do amazing in the Commandante. The C40 is also hand crafted out of wood and metal so it's more a work of art than just a well builtl machine. Cons are that it has an ancient clicks adjustment system with zero numbers to tell where you are (you have to count up from zero every time) and it grinds the slowest of them all.

I've been talking with Meta coffee over in the Malaysia the last few days and according to him the X-pro tastes so close to the commandante that you can't tell them apart. Like frighteningly close (his opinion is that 1zpresso is "fibbing" at saying it's a 40mm burr set and that they're trying not to get targeted by Commandante and it's most likely a 39 mm clone of the commandante burrs)....it looks killer, but I don't have it yet.

don't worry about the extra micron adjustments with teh X-pro. it's the same micron adjustments as the JX-PRo. it just gives you more fine tuning ability. It's basically the commandante with red clix in terms of micron adjustment levels. Won't change acidity at all. it's basically a way of giving you more control...

personally, they're all really good grinders and ALLL a distinct upgrade over the C2.. the only lateral movement might be with the Q2 and that is simply due to it being smaller and only holding 20 grams. If you're using it for a daily grinder and have the money... K-max and Commandante. Owning both I tend to use the Kmax more simply because the difference between it and the Commandante is sooooooooooo close that the extra workflow capabilities of the external grinder ring and the super fast grinding just blow the commandante away. Yes, I tend to think the C40 gives a SLIGHTLY better cup at the end of the day, but you would have to literally compare the cups side by side to notice. Just a choice

The X-Pro sounds like it's going to be a really close call too. it's smaller, lighter, doesn't have ASSSS many features as the K-series, but supposedly tastes identical to the commandante, but it's not Available in the United States yet.. (I had to import mine... it arrives Monday)

if you get the Commandante get it at Cafune.ca ... I have 10% referrall link for you if you like and with shipping it's like $250-$260 after CAD to USD conversion vs. the $325-$400 it is here in teh states.

At the end of the day, all of them are an upgrade over the C2 flavor wise. The Q2 is a GREAT grinder, but PERSONALLY if you're using it as a daily drvier and you have the money, the K-max or the C40 all the way (K-pro the jury is still out on simply because I don't have it in hand). The Q2 is BEST as a secondary grinder to use for travel, or when you're single dosing. the K-max's workflow blows it out of the water for daily driving even though they taste similarly.

finalfour (original poster)

#18: Post by finalfour (original poster) »

wormraper wrote: They are all a significant upgrade over the C2. It's not going to be going from blade grinder to Timemore C2 jump, but it's a very significant upgrade flavor wise. The burr for the C2 is great for a budget grinder, but if you're picky the heptagonal burrs tear it apart.

the Q2 hepta is a great little grinder and STUPID close to the C40 in taste. Like way closer than a $99 grinder has any right to be. It's got all aluminum construction and grinds really easily due to the 7 core burrs (though it takes a bit longer than the C2...just a few seconds). However, it's downsides are that it's smaller and bigger handed people might have an issue with that. And it only holds 20 grams comfortably. Also the adjustment system is like the C40 where you basically have to count clicks and it's on the bottom...

The K-max and the Q2 taste REALLY similar. However, the K series burrs are cleaner with better separation of flavors. it has a thinner body and tastes very clean. Is it worth $140 over the cost of the Q2? If you have the money, yes. The outer ring adjustment system is incredible. It blows away the Q2 and the C40 adjustment system, is fully external, and you can return to the same number every time you switch grinds without taking it apart or counting clicks. It's also bigger and easier to hold on to and holds 40 grams. Also comes with a cylindrical carry case, an air bellows to clean out your grinder, and feels like a TANK

The C40 is the OG. Compared to the K-max it is slightly sweeter, slightly more well rounded, but less flavor separation and slightly less clarity. It's more complex. But It is pure nitpickery at this point. Both are great, but it's just those little nit picky things that stand out. I prefer some brews in teh K-max, some in the Commandante. very malic cups do very well in the K-max, while sweeter and less citrus, more strawberry and cherry tones do amazing in the Commandante. The C40 is also hand crafted out of wood and metal so it's more a work of art than just a well builtl machine. Cons are that it has an ancient clicks adjustment system with zero numbers to tell where you are (you have to count up from zero every time) and it grinds the slowest of them all.

I've been talking with Meta coffee over in the Malaysia the last few days and according to him the X-pro tastes so close to the commandante that you can't tell them apart. Like frighteningly close (his opinion is that 1zpresso is "fibbing" at saying it's a 40mm burr set and that they're trying not to get targeted by Commandante and it's most likely a 39 mm clone of the commandante burrs)....it looks killer, but I don't have it yet.

don't worry about the extra micron adjustments with teh K-pro. it's the same micron adjustements as the JX-PRo. it just gives you more fine tuning ability. It's basically the commandante with red clix in terms of micron adjustment levels. Won't change acidity at all. it's basically a way of giving you more control...

personally, they're all really good grinders and ALLL a distinct upgrade over the C2.. the only lateral movement might be with the Q2 and that is simply due to it being smaller and only holding 20 grams. If you're using it for a daily grinder and have the money... K-max and Commandante. Owning both I tend to use the Kmax more simply because the difference between it and the Commandante is sooooooooooo close that the extra workflow capabilities of the exernal grinder ring and the super fast grinding just blow the commandante away. Yes, I tend to think the C40 gives a SLIGHTLY better cup at the end of the day, but you would have to literally compare the cups side by side to notice. Just a choice

The X-Pro sounds like it's going to be a really close call too. it's smaller, lighter, doesn't have ASSSS many features as the K-series, but supposedly tastes identical to the commandante, but it's not Available in the United States yet.. (I had to import mine... it arrives Monday)

if you get the Commandante get it at Cafune.ca ... I have 10% referrall link for you if you like and with shipping it's like $250-$260 after CAD to USD conversion vs. the $325-$400 it is here in teh states.

At the end of the day, all of them are an upgrade over the C2 flavor wise. The Q2 is a GREAT grinder, but PERSONALLY if you're using it as a daily drvier and you have the money, the K-max or the C40 all the way (K-pro the jury is still out on simply because I don't have it in hand). The Q2 is BEST as a secondary grinder to use for travel, or when you're single dosing. the K-max's workflow blows it out of the water for daily driving even though they taste similarly.
Part of being in a community is how others (and us) can help with info, support, and ideas. I don't know you but I really appreciated your feedback (to me and to the community) and your time telling us this. I don't have anything more to ask, your explanation was great!

In fact because of your explanations, I decide to buy the KMax (from a local store, but thanks for the discount on Cafune for the C40). I was so close to buying the C40 but definitively the old mechanism for moving settings is a turndown. Also, I believe the Kmax is a bit more "future-proof" for espresso if I want to test that someday. Not like the C40 can't work for espresso but you need the red clix and again, the system for moving the burrs and the slowness is not that...appealing.

Also, don't get me wrong, the C2 is a great grinder, for beginners. If somebody is reading this and want to test this hobby is an excellent option for a while and you don't need to break the wallet for it, you can test and try a lot of stuff with the C2. And finally...the Xpro looks great on paper, but right now we don't have a ton of reviews, and maybe at the end of the year internet is going to be loaded with more reviews and stuff. Looks really really nice and was my second closely option.

Thanks again wormraper for your help and hopefully, this thread could help somebody too!

wormraper

#19: Post by wormraper replying to finalfour »

glad you found it helpful and got something you like.

the K-max is a GREAT grinder. I love it. You'll enjoy the hell out of it.

the X-pro is now in hand and 3 days later I can say I really like it. It's actually got a slight bit less clarity than I like (probably due to the 12.5 micron adjustments) for pourover, but it's REALLY close to the Q2 and Commandante... it shines more for espresso though me thinks, and I'm going to be testing that out later this week.

oh yeah, the C2 is GREAT if you're on a budget. It'll tear apart a blade grinder like nobody's business buuuuuut starts to lose value when it goes above $55... I'ts been closer to $60-$70 these last few months and at that price range the extra dollars spent on the Q2 hepta really are worth it. My reccomendation for someone sub $100 is get the Q2 hepta.. if you can't afford that, then the Time More C2 is next with the caveat that you'll probably outgrow it faster than you like. Everyone's got a budget and it fits in there in the real of things for sure