VST ridged or ridgeless?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
HotLava
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by HotLava »

I wanted to add a VST basket to my set up. I'm not sure if I want a ridged or ridgeless. I like the idea of a snug fit. Is there any benefit in shot quality ridged vs ridgeless?
Joe

dak

#2: Post by dak »

I have both ridged and ridgeless 20 gram VST baskets. I way prefer the ridgeless. It still fits snugly in my Bianca portafilter with the spring but it's not a PIA to remove because it slides out smoothly without the ridge to catch on the spring. Tension is more than enough to knock out a puck without the basket flying and there is no ridge on the inside to catch ground coffee.

I use a self leveling tamper so I don't need the ridge as a reference for a level tamp, but I could see this being a plus for the ridged. Not sure there is any difference from an extraction perspective but the workflow is way better IMO on the ridgeless.

BaristaBoy E61

#3: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

HotLava wrote:I wanted to add a VST basket to my set up. I'm not sure if I want a ridged or ridgeless. I like the idea of a snug fit. Is there any benefit in shot quality ridged vs ridgeless?
I doubt there's any difference in shot quality but I think it does make a difference where you're knocking your punk out to. If you're using a knock box with a bar across it, then a ridgeless is OK. In our case I knock them out straight into a composing bin and eliminate the steps of emptying and cleaning a knock box. So here the ridge does make a difference in that it helps to hold the basket in the portafilter, without the ridge I think the basket would fall out into the compost bin most of the time as I knock the portafilter on its neck just behind the basket.

YMMV
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

thm655321

#4: Post by thm655321 »

I have a Bianca as well and went over a year with a ridgeless 20g VST which worked fine for the most part but often, and lately far too often, I would take the naked portafilter out of the Bianca and the basket would remain in the group. So I bought a 22g ridged VST and guess what, that would not fit, max is VST 20 for the Bianca. So I replaced that with a 20g VST ridged and it has been perfect. No change in workflow for me other than the benefit of it not remaining in the group, and I notice no difference in taste or anything else.
dak wrote:I have both ridged and ridgeless 20 gram VST baskets. I way prefer the ridgeless. It still fits snugly in my Bianca portafilter with the spring but it's not a PIA to remove because it slides out smoothly without the ridge to catch on the spring. Tension is more than enough to knock out a puck without the basket flying and there is no ridge on the inside to catch ground coffee.

I use a self leveling tamper so I don't need the ridge as a reference for a level tamp, but I could see this being a plus for the ridged. Not sure there is any difference from an extraction perspective but the workflow is way better IMO on the ridgeless.

HotLava
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by HotLava »

I have the Breville dual boiler and the portafilter has that clip. However the stock 18g basket is ridgeless. I dont want to order the ridged and have it not fit.

I have been reading all over the net and many are saying the faster flow you get from the VST basket doesn't always work out well for all types of coffee. It may even challenge my grinders ability to grind fine enough to slow the flow.

Does anyone know if the 20 gram baskets will fit the Breville 58mm portafilter?
Joe

Valo_Soul

#6: Post by Valo_Soul » replying to HotLava »

I have a 20g ridged Decent Espresso basket (theirs are all ridged), and it fits perfectly in my BDB bottomless portafilter - not sure about spouted, if that's what you're asking. From my understanding, the Decent baskets are extremely similar to VST.

HotLava
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by HotLava »

I'm not familiar with the Decent baskets. Are all the precision baskets pretty much all similar or is VST vs Decent vs IMS one better than the other?
Joe

Valo_Soul

#8: Post by Valo_Soul » replying to HotLava »

I believe they are all quite similar, at least in principal. I can't speak to if one brand has a faster flow vs another, due to hole size or amount, etc. I know Pullman also makes their own precision baskets which some people absolutely swear by, especially when paired with the Pullman Big Step tamper. In the end, you'll find hordes of people who are dedicated to each brand, and I think the consumer is the winner overall. These baskets all seem to be very well made, received, and supported.

Having said all that, I like the ridgeless VST baskets and don't find the need for the ridge with my setup.

HotLava
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by HotLava »

Valo_Soul wrote: I believe they are all quite similar, at least in principal. I can't speak to if one brand has a faster flow vs another, due to hole size or amount, etc. I know Pullman also makes their own precision baskets which some people absolutely swear by, especially when paired with the Pullman Big Step tamper. In the end, you'll find hordes of people who are dedicated to each brand, and I think the consumer is the winner overall. These baskets all seem to be very well made, received, and supported.

Having said all that, I like the ridgeless VST baskets and don't find the need for the ridge with my setup.
I have the BDB as well, 920xl. Would you recommend the 18g ridgeless as the first precision to try over stock?
Joe

BaristaBob

#10: Post by BaristaBob »

BDB here as well. Been using 18g and 20g ridgeless VST baskets in my 58mm portafilter for over three years now. Never a problem. The spring clip holds it totally secure. They flow just a little faster in my opinion over the Breville baskets. Not really that different.
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"