VBM Domobar Super Digital - Page 3

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
loscorrales

#21: Post by loscorrales »

Capuchin Monk wrote:Where can I see that info?
Vbm instagram and youtube official accounts.

It also will have manual profilling

Capuchin Monk

#22: Post by Capuchin Monk »

Thanks.
I guess this is the video.

TokyoA

#23: Post by TokyoA »

So did you end up buying the machine or still deciding?
I'm looking at it too as a potential option 8)

Capuchin Monk

#24: Post by Capuchin Monk »

TokyoA wrote:So did you end up buying the machine or still deciding?
Here.

TokyoA

#25: Post by TokyoA »

How has your experience been so far? Would you recommend it to others?

loscorrales

#26: Post by loscorrales »

I have purchased it

IgorG

#27: Post by IgorG »

hello! what are the advantages and disadvantages of a copper boiler for VBM and a stainless steel boiler for Lelit. What do you think about it?

bringyoutomyhell

#28: Post by bringyoutomyhell »

There will always be the risk of a smaaaaaaaaaaall lead leak from boilers which are not stainless steel. It's not to worry about. Anyway I only buy machines with stainless steel boilers (and hopefully everything else inside too). The industry is slowly moving to all stainless steel anyway. But slowly.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#29: Post by baldheadracing replying to bringyoutomyhell »

Um, copper is an element. It can't have any lead by definition.

Brass may have very low amounts of lead, even under current regulations. However, for many years now, a brass or copper boiler has to have a non-reactive coating like electro-plated tin.

Stainless steel - the 304 variant typically found in many home machines - has its own issues with corrosion from chlorides in water, low pH water, and also galvanic corrosion. Corrosion/pitting of 304 will leach heavy metals into your coffee. Lead may be the most commonly-known heavy metal, but chromium isn't exactly a health food :lol:. Upscale/commercial machines have pretty much switched to, or have always used, 316 stainless, which is much more resistant to chloride corrosion than 304. 304 is much more common in primarily non-commercial espresso machines because a 304 boiler is less expensive than a copper or brass boiler. As such, non-commercial espresso machines switched from copper/brass boilers to 304 to reduce costs; ECM's lower-tier line, Profitec, was a big early proponent of using less-expensive 304. In addition, some say stainless is inferior to copper/brass due to wetter steam (unless steps are taken) due to lower thermal conductivity of stainless steel. https://coffeetechniciansguild.org/blog ... ded-coffee

In other words, the material doesn't matter as long as the machine is properly maintained, including good water. Even a vintage machine with uncoated leaded brass all over the place will not leach appreciable lead into the brew water if the machine is properly maintained/used. However, those machines rely on proper maintenance and use to control lead leaching, which is not what current regulations are willing to assume.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada
★ Helpful

bringyoutomyhell

#30: Post by bringyoutomyhell replying to baldheadracing »

Isn't the steel more costly to mold and shape though? And thus in the end more costly to use in a machine. I thought this was why basically every low end machine don't use stainless steel now (including Profitecs AFAIK). And weren't there cases of the electro-plated tin in copper/brass boilers flaking? Not sure, just remembering. I know about corrosion, I make my own water but it's nonetheless true. Anyway I concur. Regulations now are better than before but it's still up to each one to accept more or less risk, and what kind.