Used La Marzocco GS3 & Mahlkonig K30 Vario combo?

Recommendations for espresso equipment buyers and upgraders.
WilliamB

Postby WilliamB » Apr 16, 2019, 2:23 pm

I thought I reached my upper limit of espresso gear, but it looks like "upgrade-itis" has struck again.

A local coffee shop opened about five years ago. At the time of their opening, they bought a GS3 AV and a K30 Vario and used that to get themselves off of the ground. I wouldn't say this shop is a true "specialty" shop, but they do a pretty great job of making good coffee and train their baristas well.

Two-ish years ago, they took their GS3/K30 combo off of the line and put it in the corner as a buyable decoration. I always assumed it was well out of budget, so I didn't think about it. However, today I got a bit too curious and chatted with the baristas about it. The asking price for all of it, along with a couple of other gadgets, is $3,700. They said they had the machines checked up and serviced before putting it up for sale.

I'm pretty tight on money, but if I were to sell the machines I currently have as well as pull some strings, I think I can find enough cash without breaking the bank.

I'm posting to ask, is this a good deal? It seems to me that it is. Both machines, while used in a coffee shop environment for two or three years, seemed to be in good hands and appear to be in great shape. Thanks for the help!

The shop is well off, and the machine has been for sale for a while

sluflyer06

Postby sluflyer06 » Apr 16, 2019, 4:34 pm

What's the address to the shop...it's a terrible deal, I swear it!

If it's been taken care of that's a insane deal for a K30 and GS3.

WilliamB

Postby WilliamB » replying to sluflyer06 » Apr 16, 2019, 4:57 pm

From what I can tell, it's very well taken care of! Obviously went through the abuse of a coffee shop for two or more years. But I will say, the guy who owns the shop knows his coffee and it shows with how he takes care of the shop as a whole. I'll try to go in tomorrow or Thursday to really inspect it and decide for myself.

So with it being a "terrible" deal, if it's in good condition, sounds like I should snag it before someone else does? :D

maccompatible

Postby maccompatible » Apr 16, 2019, 5:42 pm

WilliamB wrote:From what I can tell, it's very well taken care of!

The thing I'd be most concerned about is the quality of water being put through it.
"Wait. People drink coffee just for the caffeine??"
LMWDP #628

BaristaBoy E61

Postby BaristaBoy E61 » Apr 16, 2019, 5:50 pm

WilliamB wrote:So with it being a "terrible" deal, if it's in good condition, sounds like I should snag it before someone else does? :D

Sounds like it would be terrible not to make the deal ASAP!
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

WilliamB

Postby WilliamB » Apr 16, 2019, 7:16 pm

maccompatible wrote:The thing I'd be most concerned about is the quality of water being put through it.

The water around here is notorious for being high in mineral content. The way they made it sound was that they had a guy come in and maintain the machine every once in a while and descale, and they said they backflush the machine regularly. While the water is a problem, it sounds like they had a good gameplan for how they took care of the machine anyway.

BaristaBoy E61 wrote:Sounds like it would be terrible not to make the deal ASAP!

It certainly sounds like it! I'm gonna try to gather the money by the end of the week!

sluflyer06

Postby sluflyer06 » replying to WilliamB » Apr 17, 2019, 9:24 am

For that money, if the only problem is scale, you can pay a La Marzocco tech in the area a couple hundred dollars to take it apart, de-scale, etc.

arcus

Postby arcus » Apr 17, 2019, 9:33 am

I think you need to buy it!

baristainzmking

Postby baristainzmking » Apr 17, 2019, 2:35 pm

+1
Julia