Used Gaggia Classic models

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Paul Rossmo

#1: Post by Paul Rossmo »

I want to build a Gaggia. I've seen a few for sale but there seem to be different buttons on the front. I was told they were originally built in Italy and had a large boiler, then they were built somewhere else. I'm planning to upgrade the shower screen, group head seal and heat sink, get a bottomless portafilter and VST basket, a 9bar spring and a better milk wand. I was not planning to convert it to PID.
I drink mostly espresso, very few milk drinks. Does anyone have some buying tips to get the best generation?
Thanks,
Paul

bobkat
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by bobkat »

I think you might want the Gaggia Classic Pro. There was one on here in the Buy/Sell forum that just sold quickly. I had one...liked it for what it is...but eventually sold it for a dual boiler. As far as I know, they are made in Italy. As you know, there are a number of mods that can make this a better machine. It is a good bang for your buck basic machine.

thirdcrackfourthwave

#3: Post by thirdcrackfourthwave »

I've had a Gaggia for about 13 years. DW uses it to steam milk anymore but it has been gifted to a friend upon the arrival of our new machine. They are fine, albeit limited machines, for what they are. Considering all the time and money you might invest (they are easy to work on) you might want to look at other single boiler machines. In a different vein, without looking at costs involved, for me the biggest issue is temperature control and the need for temp surfing. I would think the PID would mod be more effective in achieving good coffee than doing things like changing shower screens, wands and VST baskets. As far as wands go. . . .I generally don't steam milk but. . .the boiler is small and the steaming ability is limited. I think this is a function of boiler size and not the specific wand. Also, not sure on this, before a certain year I believe the OPV was adjustable. If you are buying used you might want to buy a machine from that era.

thirdcrackfourthwave

#4: Post by thirdcrackfourthwave »

I've had a Gaggia for about 13 years. DW uses it to steam milk anymore but it has been gifted to a friend upon the arrival of our new machine. They are fine, albeit limited machines, for what they are. Considering all the time and money you might invest (they are easy to work on) you might want to look at other single boiler machines. In a different vein, without looking at costs involved, for me the biggest issue is temperature control and the need for temp surfing. I would think the PID would mod be more effective in achieving good coffee than doing things like changing shower screens, wands and VST baskets. As far as wands go. . . .I generally don't steam milk but. . .the boiler is small and the steaming ability is limited. I think this is a function of boiler size and not the specific wand. Also, not sure on this, before a certain year I believe the OPV was adjustable. If you are buying used you might want to buy a machine from that era.

thirdcrackfourthwave

#5: Post by thirdcrackfourthwave »

Lance Hedrick has an old youtube out there on mods of the Gaggia Classic. It is old but might be worth checking out.