Upgrading to Slayer vs Better Grinder

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
NG1990

#1: Post by NG1990 »

Hi guys,

So recently I've managed to save some bucks and am looking to destroy my marriage upgrade my current setup.

I have a Linea Mini running at 6 BAR + Rocket Fausto grinder. I use mostly washed, high grown, light roasted SOs from Colombia, Peru and Honduras. Even when I'm not going SO, my local roaster's house blend is 50% Colombia Huila & 50% Colombia Casanare, roasted Nordic style.

I am in love with a Single Group Slayer. Now, would the Fausto pair well with it to approach those really looooong extractions? Or should I just look into a better grinder, something like the Mythos...?

I'm an impulse buyer so your more thoughtful and analytical opinions will be much appreciated. Thanks!

DaveB

#2: Post by DaveB »

NG1990 wrote:So recently I've managed to save some bucks and am looking to destroy my marriage upgrade my current setup.
LOL! :D

FWIW, I'm pretty sure the Slayer would have a very high WAF, as long as she never finds out what it cost!
Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Advertisement
andresfranco

#3: Post by andresfranco »

NG1990 wrote:Hi guys,

So recently I've managed to save some bucks and am looking to destroy my marriage

I think a Slayer plus a MonoCon AND MonoFlat would achieve all your goals :D :D :D
Andrés Franco

LMWDP #571

NG1990 (original poster)

#4: Post by NG1990 (original poster) »

Might as well bite the bullet big time and get me a Diedrich or something. :P

Jokes aside, looking forward to your advice.

ben8jam

#5: Post by ben8jam »

I have a LMLM running at 6.5 bar with a monFlat. I working with very light SO Kenyan and Ethopian naturals and washed and getting amazing fruit filled bright shots.

If I were you, I'd get the grinder first and break it in (takes a few months) and see where you're at. You're going to get the Monolith no matter what, (you know you will) so better to start there and THEN go for the slayer if you're into that.

I just got a SO Colombian which has some nice fruit, but see if you can track down some African beans (if that's allowed in SA) :D

NG1990 (original poster)

#6: Post by NG1990 (original poster) »

Thanks guys!

Well, after doing a valuation of my left kidney and lung serious consideration, I've decided to buy the Slayer AND a grinder. Could be a Monolith, not sure yet.

Another question: I'd like a white powder coated Slayer with oak activators and the lot, to fit well with the color palette of my kitchen, but I'm worried about the powder coating being susceptible to dings and such. Anyone here with a similar Slayer care to chime in? Thanks!

spressomon

#7: Post by spressomon »

Although I have the base color configuration (black side panels & silver leg assembly) I have zero issues with their powder coating.
No Espresso = Depresso

Advertisement
CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#8: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

NG1990 wrote:Thanks guys!

Well, after doing a valuation of my left kidney and lung serious consideration, I've decided to buy the Slayer AND a grinder. Could be a Monolith, not sure yet.

Another question: I'd like a white powder coated Slayer with oak activators and the lot, to fit well with the color palette of my kitchen, but I'm worried about the powder coating being susceptible to dings and such. Anyone here with a similar Slayer care to chime in? Thanks!
The PC is awesome. Our legs are called Silver Vein. We really love them. Take advantage of the year end sale and get a MF and you will be heaven. Never a problem getting up around here with a coffee adventure each am. Go for it.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart