Upgrading to a New Brew Grinder - $1000 Budget

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
PastorChemex
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by PastorChemex »

So - I'm moving to Vermont in two days, and I'm gifting my sister my Virtuoso since she has no grinder and has been using it while I've lived with her and the fam the last few years. I use that specifically for v60 and chemex, and I have an XL for espresso. I'd love to get something of the same quality but for brew alone.

Here's a few requirements on my list:

-a HUGE upgrade from the Virtuoso (I'd like this to be the end all purchase of a grinder and not need to / want to upgrade again)
-no more than 1k (I can move a tiny bit, but at this point not much)
-quiet (relatively - it IS a grinder after all)

Here's what I've been considering

-Mahlkonig X54
-Mahlkonig EK43 (not really in my price range but if someone knows of one used that's close to that range, I'd be down!)
-Baratza Forte (from what I understand, not very quiet)
-Eureka Brew Pro
-Eureka Single Dose (not out yet)
-Niche - but hard to snag one

Any thoughts on what I've been considering and if I'm leaving anything out in that price range? I could pull the trigger on an X54 today, but want to see what else I should be thinking about, or if anyone has any specific recommendations / thoughts on my list here. The EK would really be my dream to own, but as a dad of four kids with a 5th coming (crazy I know) I don't know that I can afford 3k on a grinder.

Also lastly - should I be considering grind by weight?

Thanks!

CafelatStore: home of Cafelat products online
Sponsored by CafelatStore
111a111sk

#2: Post by 111a111sk »

So you already have Mignon XL? I mean, Mignon should go to V60 range, I was using Specialita for V60. I don't think you can get significant improvement in the same price category.

If you want to have 2k invested in grinders, sell the XL and get maybe Lagom P64.

Beware of the EK43, people who buy it tend to spend another half of the MSRP tuning it.

GbW is awesome, I'd like to get it myself, but unfortunately there's a void between Baratza Sette 270Wi and Mahlkönig E65S GbW.

PastorChemex (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by PastorChemex (original poster) »

111a111sk wrote:So you already have Mignon XL? I mean, Mignon should go to V60 range, I was using Specialita for V60. I don't think you can get significant improvement in the same price category.

I'd you want to have 2k invested in grinders, sell the XL and get maybe Lagom P64.

Beware of the EK43, people who buy it tend to spend another half of the MSRP tuning it.

GbW is awesome, I'd like to get it myself, but unfortunately there's a void between Baratza Sette 270Wi and Mahlkönig E65S GbW.
Thanks for your thoughts! I should clarify - the XL is used exclusively for espresso, and the Virtuoso was my brew grinder. I'd rather not have to dial in the XL all the time and leave it dialed for espresso and have a solid second grinder for brew.

SandraF

#4: Post by SandraF »

Would you consider a really nice hand grinder? If so, there are a few...

PastorChemex (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by PastorChemex (original poster) » replying to SandraF »

I have a nice hand grinder that I use for travel - I have a k-plus.

I realize I've got redundancy in my setup - but having a really nice home electric grinder for brew is important to me.

BaristaBoy E61

#6: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

I would recommend based nowhere you seem to be at in coffee, the Mahlkonig X54. It should be a capable, attractive grinder that won't break the bank, grind good coffee and command a good resale price if/when cashing out to upgrade.

If you want to grind by weight, I'd suggest trying single dosing even with the X54 and a scale able to measure down to .1g that can be calibrated and measuring the exaction on the other side in the cup.
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

111a111sk

#7: Post by 111a111sk »

OK Mignon XL might require multiple turns between espresso and V60 and the scale can't be zeroed. But pretty much all high-end options have full range within a single turn.

If you insist on having 2 separate grinders, I guess the G-iota/DF64 + SSP brew burrs.

@BaristaBoy E61 grind-by-weight / gravimetric dosing doesn't mean pre-weighing and single-dosing

About Mahlkoning X54 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYfF-ft2gLc - I'm lazy to re-watch, but I think the conclusion was not great for brew

Cerini Coffee & Gifts: official US importer for Olympia Express
Sponsored by Cerini Coffee & Gifts
another_jim
Team HB

#8: Post by another_jim »

The Niche is not a good pure brew grinder; it's a great espresso grinder that's so-so for brew. The same may apply to the most of the Eurekas on your list. You might add the Fuji Royal 220 to your list, provided you never want to use it for espresso or any other fine grind.
Jim Schulman
★ Helpful