Upgrading: La Marzocco Linea Mini vs. Victoria Arduino Prima - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
MTN Gert

#11: Post by MTN Gert »

Ok I got the Eagle 1P set up and well loved today.

It has some drawbacks.
1: you have to drill your own hole in the drip tray to set up the drain (stainless drilling is tough without step bits)
2: it was supposed to include a drain pipe but it didn't (3/4 fitting and 3/4id tubing was $10 at hardware store).
3: the app requires location
4:app cannot find the machine on 3 different Samsung S20 phones but worked right away on my old S7
5:No on off schedule like the linea
6: brew pressure is displayed in app only, no gauge
7:steam pressure is set by app only
8:deeper setting are factory password restricted

Great things vs LmLm
1: Instant access hot water mixing
2:it has a hot water mixing valve
3:easiest to make perfect microfoam of any machine I've used hands down
4:I personally love the steam by wire system
5:brew temp is crazy stable (very hefty group head)
6:No plastic parts like the temp wheel on the LmLm
7:super fast heat up time and standby mode make it a great home machine

Overall for a pre order machine this thing is a dream! With the shots I pulled on a Ethiopian Guji natural and my own espresso blend I cannot find a single bad thing to say about the espresso it makes. For the people worried about variable pre infusion and pressure profiling I would say that there is so much more to an excellent machine than gizmos and tech. To each their own but I would say the build is the same level as the linea and the coffee is too. A slayer and synesso may have some benefits at 2x the price but the decent DE1 has to many compromises to hit their price point. All of the shiny E61 boxes out there are good on paper only.
"Stop it....it's naughty and wrong" -James Hoffmann

Ardent

#12: Post by Ardent »

Sounds like your very happy.
May I ask what machine you had before purchasing the E1 ?
And what grinder you have paired?
It's definitely a tempting machine, it's exactly half the price of a slayer in Australia and $3500 cheaper than a Gs3.
I just wish you could saturate the puck at low pressure.

drH

#13: Post by drH »

It sounds like most of the E1P negatives are things that can easily be fixed over time.
If it's well constructed and gets the fundamentals right, it looks like a competitive choice. The volumetrics are useful and the appropriate comparison is not with the LMLM but the GS3AV.

MTN Gert

#14: Post by MTN Gert »

drH you are 100% spot on

Ardent
I have an Izzo Alex Duetto IV and a Brasilia Portafino. My current grinders are a E37T and Eureka Olympus 75HS both with SSP burrs and aligned. The E1P allows the pre infusion on and pause time to be set in the app, the simonelli tech told me there is a pre infusion orifice to slowly ramp pressure. With good puck prep I have not found a pressure profiling to enhance flavor in the way a well aligned quality grinder, SSP burrs, or a temp stable espresso machine do. I guess YMMV but with 1000 things in balance to get the perfect shot, I'm much less worried about flow control, pressure profiling and now grinder speed profiling. I built my own roaster and would never be able to find the perfect profiles anyway in the 20-50lb bags of greens I buy. Might make more sense for someone who uses the same beans every single day

Plinyyounger
Supporter ♡

#15: Post by Plinyyounger »

Sounds like you are happy, that's awesome. I have wondered how these machines do. Unfortunately the pressures being only avail on a phone or tablet are a deal breaker for me. I'll be more interested in your thoughts on the machine after much longer use. I wonder if you you will be more or less encouraged. Looking forward to your thoughts.
Family, coffee and fun.

drH

#16: Post by drH replying to Plinyyounger »

Without profiling maybe it's actually a good thing that the pressure is only on the app... one less gauge to go faulty over time and bc it's a rotary pump it will read 9bar as soon as it's switched on. It's nice verify occasionally that it's right but otherwise it won't help to have a gauge.

Transporter

#17: Post by Transporter »

Hi MTN Gert,

Can you give us some feedback on how the machine handles multiple drinks and the impacts on the brew and steam performance? Prima's use of a small flash boiler versus a brew boiler leads me to question how the unit recovers temperature stability after several drinks? I like that they are using higher pressure on the steam but having a 1.5 L tank versus 3.5 still is a limiting factor on creating usable volume even when running higher pressure.

Are you finding that stemming a larger pitcher or multiple milk drinks challenges the unit?
How is the pump pressure set on the machine?
Is the portafilter stainless steel?

Thanks

MTN Gert

#18: Post by MTN Gert replying to Transporter »

SO so good coffee on YouTube does an excellent English subed video on the topic you asked. Steaming large amounts of milk (20oz+) might benefit from a bigger hole steam tip for a good vortex bit the steam boiler stays above 2bar very well. The more efficient brew engine seams to allow more power to be directed to the steam boiler as needed. Probably very comparable to a Linea mini or GS3 but I have not done a dozen back to back, only 4 lattes in a row under 8 minutes and one latte was a 12oz oat milk.

Pump pressure is set by a very nice metal knurled knob under the machine to the pump itself. You have to use the app to see what the pressure is or use a portafilter pressure gauge.

I'm 90% sure the portafilters are chrome plated brass Simonelly ones that are leather wrapped handles. Probably cheaper and more thermally efficient than stainless

Transporter

#19: Post by Transporter »

drH wrote:It sounds like most of the E1P negatives are things that can easily be fixed over time.
If it's well constructed and gets the fundamentals right, it looks like a competitive choice. The volumetrics are useful and the appropriate comparison is not with the LMLM but the GS3AV.
I think the Prima is a hybrid of the LMLM and GS3AV that offers volumetrics and a flash boiler comparable to the smaller LMLM brew boiler versus the GS3AV 1.5L tank.

I am sure it makes excellent coffee. I want to know how stable the machine is when making multiple drinks that will gauge the performance against the GS3AV or LMLM?

Jeff
Team HB

#20: Post by Jeff »

Stainless PF handles are considered by many to be superior as their thermal conductivity and mass are lower. As a result, they don't draw as much heat from the group head, likely leading to better brew-temperature control.