Upgrade to double boiler? La Marzocco Linea Mini / VA Eagle One / Slayer?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
c_one

#1: Post by c_one »

Hi everyone,

about a year ago i've started my espresso journey with '10 Astoria 1gr HX. Was pretty nice time, but for some time i have a feeling i should make an upgrade - definitive confirmation was a Slayer shot in a bar near my work...(must admit that i went there many times before, but this day probably somebody knew what to do - was really impressive...

ever since i have collected info and basically shortened my options to La Marzocco Linea Mini (plus flow profiling mod in the future) / VA Eagle One / Slayer 1gr ... visually and as a Italian lover i prefer LMLM, but in fact, im basically afraid they will come with some upgraded version soon, since (from what i read), basically everyone wants to mod it sooner or later, and its the only option i'll miss in stock version. But i love the app idea, (coming) possibility to turn off the steam boiler, and the fact that you dont need to use the ampp necessarily...
...VA Eagle One is nice, but no flow profile...and more expensive...Slayer is kinda obscure here, so much easier to keep a LM going here...the GS3 MP is not what i'd like since i feel its a bit obsolete from some perspective, and it requires too much fiddling around...

however...this summer i've tried several other roasters and while i want the new gear, i feel im probably not able to pull 100% even from my HX Astoria (the flush routine without actually seeing the temperature is something i really hate as an OCD person; and there is probably too much flow) / Mazzer Major set...

So my final question is - will there be any significant progress in taste from my current HX going to these "monsters"? Of course i know the shot will be repeatable and better controlled etc. etc., but basically want to know if im not just willing to mask my uncapability with gear :D Since, mostly accidentaly, im able to pull really fabulous shots even now...not really knowing how to repeat them :D

thanks! martin