Upgrade thoughts on La Marzocco Linea Mini or Rocket R58

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
OK31
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by OK31 »

have been having upgraditis due to some unfortunate BDB issues that I won't get into at the moment. Have swallowed the pill and am willing to spend upwards of an LMLM although annoyed that the stainless version seems to either be out of style or simply on a backorder with no end date?

So considering anything in that range and wondering if I'll be happy with an R58 Rocket or if it's worth considering a Lelit or an ECM?

I primarily make at least 1 milk based drink per day daily. Depending on the day can be multiple straight shots or with milk so steam is a VERY big thing, now that I also realized steaming milk for kids is a LOT more efficient than the stove top method that is also another +for needing steam.

I drink primarily Italian style medium/dark roast and get the beans from a variety of places. Have enjoyed Malabar Gold, currently trying out as per some recommendations here George Howell blends. Really not a fan of light roasts. I enjoy simplicity even if with a little tech but definitely don't want to be doing my day job when up at 4am to make a cup to start the day. I'm not (maybe yet?) huge/interested in profiling or other Decent level tinkering and simply want to grind, tamp and pull.

Currently using an Atom 75 as grinder so the grinding is out of the way and am very pleased with it so not looking to upgrade/change or otherwise add anything in that department.

Have plenty of counter space although depth MAY be a bit of a consideration and I don't YET plan to plumb although would love the option.

Please help me spend the $ wisely (even if this is a very subjective decision).

BaristaBoy E61

#2: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

Here's a link to a HB thread that you might find informative and helpful:

Choosing an Espresso Machine Rationally
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

Advertisement
OK31 (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by OK31 (original poster) replying to BaristaBoy E61 »

Thanks, I read that actually. Spent some more time considering and I think I'm going for LMLM.

Stanford55
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by Stanford55 »

The Mini's strengths seem perfectly aligned with your bean and drink preferences. Would you be happy with a non-stainless version? Forget rational decision making and consider the aesthetics for a moment :lol: .

Keep us posted on what you finally decide and how the machine works for you.

Cheers

cmin

#5: Post by cmin »

OK31 wrote:have been having upgraditis due to some unfortunate BDB issues that I won't get into at the moment.
Are you me, I still can't figure out what's wrong with this thing, and solenoid buzzing again that was just replaced 2 months ago, slayer mod doesn't work or react with gauge anymore, no clue if it's even the needle valve since can still control flow but shots suck and are thin on this thing even ran normal full open, no PI or slayer'ing. Pressure registers accurate with blank disc so I give up. Already replaced o-rings etc, twice now. No clue, nobody else seems to know on here either, 1st Profitec pos and than this, never had an issue with machines in 10 years except these two in a row.

What about levers? At the Linea price since you mentioned the space, if you'd be open to that what about Londinium R24? I'm seriously considering it but I can't have a "real" lever right now till maybe few months, won't work at this places kitchen and cabinets. Let alone the levers are great for other styles but for yours that's where they excel, everytime I've had darker or heavier roast/origins their just insanely better on a lever and that bitterness that hits with pump machines is either gone or faint. Was chatting with someone that was pulling Unicorn Blood (which is an extremely finicky blend, even on a Slayer was tricky dialing) but with R24 and was blown away by it vs pump machine.

OK31 (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by OK31 (original poster) »

Stanford55 wrote:The Mini's strengths seem perfectly aligned with your bean and drink preferences. Would you be happy with a non-stainless version? Forget rational decision making and consider the aesthetics for a moment :lol: .

Keep us posted on what you finally decide and how the machine works for you.

Cheers
So the stainless is on hold until supply chain issues are resolved so that's an indefinitely at this point. I think I'd be fine with a black. My atom 75 is a silver but has black and the tray on the LM is also same color as the atom so it can be a bit of an extension.

Really leaning towards LM just have to make the decision before Tuesday price hike.

OK31 (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by OK31 (original poster) »

cmin wrote:Are you me, I still can't figure out what's wrong with this thing, and solenoid buzzing again that was just replaced 2 months ago, slayer mod doesn't work or react with gauge anymore, no clue if it's even the needle valve since can still control flow but shots suck and are thin on this thing even ran normal full open, no PI or slayer'ing. Pressure registers accurate with blank disc so I give up. Already replaced o-rings etc, twice now. No clue, nobody else seems to know on here either, 1st Profitec pos and than this, never had an issue with machines in 10 years except these two in a row.

What about levers? At the Linea price since you mentioned the space, if you'd be open to that what about Londinium R24? I'm seriously considering it but I can't have a "real" lever right now till maybe few months, won't work at this places kitchen and cabinets. Let alone the levers are great for other styles but for yours that's where they excel, everytime I've had darker or heavier roast/origins their just insanely better on a lever and that bitterness that hits with pump machines is either gone or faint. Was chatting with someone that was pulling Unicorn Blood (which is an extremely finicky blend, even on a Slayer was tricky dialing) but with R24 and was blown away by it vs pump machine.
The BDB and it's lack of support from them is infuriating. In any case a lever may be a bit over my desire limit. I read about the benefits but aside from space I just don't know how I feel about them. The LM really does appeal to me because of its reputation and the looks grow on me. I prefer a commercial style let alone knowing it's a workhorse (even if for me overkill). I spoke with a rep from Marzocco yesterday and I think just the conversation convinced me it's the machine for me. Will let you guys know if I actually pull the trigger.

Advertisement
OK31 (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by OK31 (original poster) »

OK so I bit the bullet and....... drumroll........ am now expecting a shiny (matte) Black LMLM. Stay tuned.

Jshot
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by Jshot replying to OK31 »

Congratulations!!

blondica73
Supporter ❤

#10: Post by blondica73 »

OK31 wrote:OK so I bit the bullet and....... drumroll........ am now expecting a shiny (matte) Black LMLM. Stay tuned.
Congrats, it's an awesome machine.