Upgrade path from Eureka Atom 75

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
B2uatk

#1: Post by B2uatk »

Hi, I have an Atom 75 currently - very good grinder. I like the short hopper, I like the low'ish retention - I like how accurate it is with weight based grinding, it's speed of grinding etc. and that it's a flat burr grinder.

Is there anything to upgrade too? I am not that interested in single dosing (I am getting a key but that's more for the conical grinder option) or I should just sit tight?

jtferraro

#2: Post by jtferraro »

Tough call, but there are always other options, especially if budget isn't top priority. How about one of those scientific looking grinders, like a Kafatek or similar? I actually have the same Atom 75 grinder, w/red speed burrs, and I've been very pleased. No upgraditis...yet (upgraded from a Vario). When you mention 'weight-based' grinding, I'm assuming you're referring to 'time-based' griding which often translates to weight-based griding?

I plan to upgrade my machine (Rocket Appartamento, which was previously upgraded from a StarbucksBarista/SaecoViaVinezia/SIN006) first.

Enjoy the journey
-Jeff

Exordium01

#3: Post by Exordium01 »

I'm curious about what issues you have with it. I got an Olympus and would have gotten the Atom 75 had it been out at the time. I get fluffy grinds with no clumps and the exact amount of grounds within a tenth of a gram or so every time. Mine did come with Mythos burrs as an added surprise so I'm not sure if you see clumping with stock burrs.

B2uatk (original poster)

#4: Post by B2uatk (original poster) »

honestly no issues - as I said in my op - great grinder. I guess I should clarify the heading :) What 'could' be an upgrade path from an Atom 75? Just trying to get an idea from the universe about what else is out there?

pdx-climber

#5: Post by pdx-climber »

Interesting you get nice fluffy grinds... we have an Olympus at our small cafe and it has been clumping like it was the latest fad. We are going to open up and see if the clump crusher is out of whack... we have stock - not ti - burrs. Wondering if a burr upgrade would be worth trying.

Exordium01

#6: Post by Exordium01 »

Huh. I definitely bought mine as a poor man's Mythos and was pretty ecstatic when I pulled the top burr carrier out and saw the TiN coating. Guess I didn't realize how lucky I got.

The Atom 75 also sells for significantly more than I paid for my Olympus. Retail was $1100 when I got mine. I'd try upgrading the burrs before upgrading the grinder.

erik82

#7: Post by erik82 »

There's only an upgrade if you really enjoy light roasts or want to singledose. For medium and darker roasts the Atom 75 is perfect, but also very good at light roasts. But an upgrade will cost you around 2-3 times the price of the Atom 75 and will deliver a bit more. That's speaking in terms of grind quality.

Iconicred

#8: Post by Iconicred »

jtferraro wrote:Tough call, but there are always other options, especially if budget isn't top priority. How about one of those scientific looking grinders, like a Kafatek or similar? I actually have the same Atom 75 grinder, w/red speed burrs, and I've been very pleased. No upgraditis...yet (upgraded from a Vario). When you mention 'weight-based' grinding, I'm assuming you're referring to 'time-based' griding which often translates to weight-based griding?

I plan to upgrade my machine (Rocket Appartamento, which was previously upgraded from a StarbucksBarista/SaecoViaVinezia/SIN006) first.
I actually have the Appartamento and Key arriving soon for being single dose and conical. I was planning an upgrade from Faustino grinder and considering the Atom 75 as new flats. Wondering what else I can consider.....

Iconicred

#9: Post by Iconicred »

erik82 wrote:There's only an upgrade if you really enjoy light roasts or want to singledose. For medium and darker roasts the Atom 75 is perfect, but also very good at light roasts. But an upgrade will cost you around 2-3 times the price of the Atom 75 and will deliver a bit more. That's speaking in terms of grind quality.
What upgrade would that be. Are you referring to the Nautilus?

erik82

#10: Post by erik82 »

Everything with big flat unimodal burrs so EK43, Nautilus, Kafatek MAX, LWW EG-1, Ditting LS807 etc.

The Atom75 is a great grinder with superb burrs so you're kind of in the high-end range already.