Upgrade from Mini Vivaldi ii and Eureka Specialita

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
mike5420
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by mike5420 »

Hi All! I've owned and learned from the La Spaz and the Mignon pair for 3 years where I've learned a lot. I want to upgrade to a 58mm group and ideally a rotary pump.

- LMLM seems like overkill on my budget, because I would need to sacrifice on the grinder
- Lelit Bianca seems good, the only one with flow control
- ECM Synchronika, Quick Mill Vetrano as other options

I'm leaving out things like DE1, or Eagle one for now.

On the grinder, I have 55m burrs and not sure if upgrading to 65mm would be sufficient (Eureka Oro, Atom 65) or if it's worth the bang for my buck to go to 75 (atom 75?) or other options.

EDIT: I'm home barista pulling espresso 1-2 daily and occasional milk drinks.

Thanks for advice!
Miguel

apple2k

#2: Post by apple2k »

I have come from a e61 machine to a plumbed in La Spaziale, why do you want to switch. The Dream is better than then e61 I had all day long.

mike5420 (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by mike5420 (original poster) »

Thanks apple2k. The dream I see has the less loud rotary pump, but I'm mainly assuming that the 58mm group will get better extraction than the taller 53mm. No ?

The other option is to start with a grinder upgrade and see if I get a better shot.

boren

#4: Post by boren »

58mm isn't better than 53mm, and your machine most likely has better temperature stability than E61 machines. Here's an upgrade I think you should consider instead:

La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi and pressure profiling

mgwolf
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by mgwolf »

The 53 mm group will pull shots as well as a 58. The main advantage (?only advantage) of the 58 mm group is that there are more accessories that are available, e.g. tampers, funnels, etc. These days, however, you can get most things easily in a 53 mm. I'm guessing you already have the 53 mm stuff you need. Also, although rotary pumps are quieter then vibe, they are hugely more expensive to replace if they crap out.

If you want to improve things quicker, I would take your money and spend it on a really good grinder.

Jeff
Team HB

#6: Post by Jeff »

The La Spaz is a solid machine. Unless you're going into light roasts, I don't think you're going to see a lot of change in the cup by changing machines.

I agree with others that moving up in grinders will make the biggest change, past better coffees. Where you go probably depends on if you're looking for classic mouthfeel or exploring the nuances of medium and lighter roasts. Burr size, alone, doesn't say much about either grind quality or ease of use.

Bottom line, what about the espresso you're making out the workflow of your current gear do you want to improve?

Entreri

#7: Post by Entreri »

Can only attest to the Bianca, which I have used for 6 months now. It looks great, are built really well, warms fast for a E61, easy control system and the paddle is really useful when you learn how to use it. Steams almost like a professional machine as well.

Supporter ♡

#8: Post by mike5420 (original poster) »

Thanks a lot everyone.
Jeff wrote:The La Spaz is a solid machine. Unless you're going into light roasts, I don't think you're going to see a lot of change in the cup by changing machines.

I agree with others that moving up in grinders will make the biggest change, past better coffees. Where you go probably depends on if you're looking for classic mouthfeel or exploring the nuances of medium and lighter roasts. Burr size, alone, doesn't say much about either grind quality or ease of use.

Bottom line, what about the espresso you're making out the workflow of your current gear do you want to improve?
Jeff, I was under the (wrong) impression that I'd get a better cup (higher extraction, more flavor) with a larger portafilter, with 58mm being more 'standard'. Seems like the improvement I'm looking for is on the grinder then and can spend up to 1.6k usd or so on it.

I like pulling shots with medium and lighter roasts though, and have tried some blends that include natural process beans (Chocolate Fish Roasters in Sacramento, CA) and can be complex, so I'd like to get the most out of those.

Honestly my workflow is not bad - maybe it's just "upgraditis" - but looking for better espresso overall.

Supporter ♡

#9: Post by mike5420 (original poster) »

Would you advice on Atom 75 as a grinder upgrade?

Jeff
Team HB

#10: Post by Jeff »

If you want to see what the buzz around flat-burr grinders is about, I'd go with a Lagom P64 or pick up a used Super Jolly and put SSP burrs into it. The Eureka burrs seem to be very good, classic burrs. Various reports suggest that they aren't in the same vein as those that people are exploring with the 64 MP, 98 HU, or similar, for both good and bad. With expensive beans and a tweaky extraction process, low retention (including exchange) and ease and repeatability of grinder adjustment are important to me. The P64 was designed for single dosing and, from what I've read, does well with it. The SJ is a budget-friendly choice, as would be a DF64. For me, the SJ being a less expensive "give it a shot" platform is an advantage over the DF64. The burrs should sell well when you decide either you really want a P64 or P100 (or ...), or you decide you prefer the flavor profile of classic burrs and their reported more forgiving dial-in.

Edit: P64s and DF64s come up occasionally on the used market as people either upgrade to, or finally get delivery of next-step grinders. The P64s tend to be at original retail (they're usually unorderable new in the US), the DF64s tend to be a bit below.