Upgrade from Gaggia Classic Pro with PID

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
shabazz10

#1: Post by shabazz10 »

Hiii. I'm new here.

Been rocking a modded gaggia classic pro with pid and shades mod and i think i would like to upgrade. Any recommendations???

I've done some research and it seems these are some good options but I was wondering if there's anything I'm missing??

- lelit mara x
- lelit Elizabeth
- profitec profitec pro 300

Habits are usually 3-5 espressos a day + a latte or three for wife and/or guests

Thanks!

Quester

#2: Post by Quester »

I assume from your choices you are not interested in profiling--true?

Jeff
Team HB

#3: Post by Jeff »

Welcome to H-B!

Kevin's question is a good one. How far into the hobby do you plan on going in the next few years? If it is "I want good espresso every day", then a budget-friendly choice of machine could free up more funds for a better grinder, either or both easier to use or better grind quality, as well as the oft forgotten advantages of using better beans.

If it is "I want to explore what is possible from the range of coffees out there, not just 'espresso roast' ones", then the budget becomes even more important.

mikelipino

#4: Post by mikelipino »

What would you like to improve from your current setup? If it's the time to make milk drinks then one of the HX or dual boiler machines would speed that up. If it's espresso shot quality and access to lighter roasts, I'd side with Jeff in that a grinder is probably your best bang for buck option. Especially if you're good with PID and if you have modded the OPV.

DocD

#5: Post by DocD »

I've been trying to decide between these 3 machines as well only I won't be trying to upgrade as it will be my first machine. I'm likely planning to pair with Niche grinder or something comparable. I continue to research daily but haven't quite felt ready to pull the trigger on the machine.

shabazz10 (original poster)

#6: Post by shabazz10 (original poster) »

RE: Profiling

Im not sure: this is playing with the flow rate right? Is that for lighter roasts to get those fruity shots you get at 3rd wave shops?

#7: Post by shabazz10 (original poster) »

Welcome to H-B!

Kevin's question is a good one. How far into the hobby do you plan on going in the next few years? If it is "I want good espresso every day", then a budget-friendly choice of machine could free up more funds for a better grinder, either or both easier to use or better grind quality, as well as the oft forgotten advantages of using better beans.

If it is "I want to explore what is possible from the range of coffees out there, not just 'espresso roast' ones", then the budget becomes even more important.
Ty! I def like to explore a range of coffees but drink a medium-dark/dark roast maybe 70 percent of the time. My got to is redbird blue jaguar. Would the upgrade to one of these machines from a gaggia be that negligable? Also is the eureka mignon not a good grinder?

#8: Post by shabazz10 (original poster) »

mikelipino wrote:What would you like to improve from your current setup? If it's the time to make milk drinks then one of the HX or dual boiler machines would speed that up. If it's espresso shot quality and access to lighter roasts, I'd side with Jeff in that a grinder is probably your best bang for buck option. Especially if you're good with PID and if you have modded the OPV.
I'm like *preeetty* happy with the espresso using a dark roast in the gaggia. I *would* like the option for lighter roasts but also I would like more depth from medium to dark roasts.

Steaming milk easier would be nice, though I can get fairly consistent lattes now, albeit a bit of a hassle.