Upgrade from Baratza Sette 270W to Rocket Faustino or Eureka Atom 65?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
SveinHa

#1: Post by SveinHa »

Have been using my Sette 270W for about one year and it have done the job ok but not great. I like the design and construction very well but I'm more skeptical to mechanical end electronic/software build quality. Lots of threads about the Sette so we don't need details here.

Have been looking thru lots of videos, mostly from WLL and SeattleCoffeeGear, and so far, two grinders have caught my attention:
  • Rocket Faustino
  • Eureka Atom 65
Well, if I win the lottery, I would go for something like Ceado E37S but that is not going to happen today so we forget about that one for now...

Rocket Faustino: I like the look of it, quiet and fairly low price, only 50mm burrs but probably ok for home use. I have a feeling that Rocket generally is over-prized but the Faustino seems to give a lot of bang for the bucks. Didn't find much about it here but anyone that have hands-on experience with it, please comment (and if you also can compare hands-on with Sette, that would be gold).

Eureka Atom 65: Quiet, higher capacity, equally easy to operate, few problems according to this site. Is it worth the almost double price compared to Faustino?

My use: About 5 18g grinds spread out during the day, occasionally 5-6 18g grinds within a couple of minutes.

The lower capacity of the Faustino is no problem. What I want to achieve is lower noise level without sacrificing grind quality compared to the Sette. I guess low retention is not that important to me but clumping and static is.

Any qualified comments?

SveinHa (original poster)

#2: Post by SveinHa (original poster) »

Well, I guess the Faustino is to new to have many users here, and also maybe a bit low-end with 50mm burrs...

Anyway, after carefully considering all opinions in this thread :wink: , I have ordered a white Eureka Atom Specialty 75 Electronic and expect to recieve it on monday. I'll keep you posted.

Due to various, mostly minor, problems with the Sette, Baratza are working on an upgrade from "W" to "Wi" for me.

#3: Post by SveinHa (original poster) »

Only done a couple of espresso but looking good so far:

HUGE difference in noise and also a bit faster. Haven't done a side by side comparision yet but so far, it seems to be a far lager difference in sound level than there seems to be on YouTube but ears do pick up a different sound picture than electronic devices.

Bluenoser

#4: Post by Bluenoser »

Surprised you wouldn't have considered the Niche Zero after the large number of happy users on these forums.

#5: Post by SveinHa (original poster) »

Bluenoser wrote:Surprised you wouldn't have considered the Niche Zero...
Well, I'm not so much into single dosing, too much fuss for daily use.

Bluenoser

#6: Post by Bluenoser »

Ahh.. agreed.. it is only a single dosing option..

#7: Post by SveinHa (original poster) »

Tried to do a sound comparision between the "Baratza Sette 270Wi" and "Eureka Atom Specialty 75" but it seems to be a complete hopeless task since the human ear picks up a totally different sound picture than electronic devices. Anyway, I put my old Canon video camera on the job equipped with my best mic and here's the result:
My very much uncalibrated sound level app gives a minor indication but this video and also other similar don't the give Atom a fair judgement as it in real life is almost soundless. The Sette gives a more realistic picture in this video.

Both grinders is dialed in to 18g espresso.

shanewiebeftr

#8: Post by shanewiebeftr »

I went from Sette 270 to a Eureka zenith 65e with TiN burrs . Not the exact grinder you're after but pretty close. It made a pretty big taste difference and I think it was mainly due to the flat instead of conical burrs. Grind speed is 6.3sec for 20g so it's a little slower Than the Sette but not by much. The noise of the Sette never bothered me but this grinder is much much quieter. I'd vote for the eureka because I'm not a fan of the Faustino looks. And bigger burrs should hopefully equal better coffee.

thoang77

#9: Post by thoang77 »

Wow the Sette sounds like a construction site.

Did you elect for any of the burr upgrades (Titanium, Red Speed) on the Atom 75?

#10: Post by SveinHa (original poster) »

thoang77 wrote:Did you elect for any of the burr upgrades (Titanium, Red Speed) on the Atom 75?
No, just standard burrs.