Upgrade espresso machine/grinder with $1500 budget

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
ping279

#1: Post by ping279 »

I have had my Breville 870 for about 2 1/2 years now. It has recently started having issues and I am thinking about upgrading. I don't consider myself an avid espresso enthusiast but do enjoy the process and have the basic knowledge of shot pulling.

My daily routine is to make a latte each for my girlfriend and I, both with 2 shots. That is normally the extent of how much I use it daily, once in a while I will have friends/family over and make some for them as well.

That being said, I would need to invest in a grinder as well as a new machine. I think I want to stay around $1300-1500 for a combined budget. I have always heard a lot about the baratza vario and thought that might be a good start for a grinder. I didn't know if maybe I should look cheaper than the baratza so I would have more left for the machine?

I've looked at the Elba 1 and 3 as well as the Expobar office lever. All seem to be good options but would be a stretch for fitting a grinder into the budget. I would probably have to look at a grinder cheaper than the vario.

RyanJE

#2: Post by RyanJE »

Get a BDB and a Sette. Major upgrade and in budget. Done.
I drink two shots before I drink two shots, then I drink two more....

Chris65

#3: Post by Chris65 replying to RyanJE »

+1. I just did this exact upgrade for around 1000-1100 because I got a good deal on the dual boiler. It's a huge upgrade and I'm loving it so far.

mrjag

#4: Post by mrjag »

I agree that BDB+Sette is a good combination and within budget.

ping279 (original poster)

#5: Post by ping279 (original poster) »

Is the BDB really worth it? I hesitate to stick with Breville since I've had so many issues with my current one.

jchung

#6: Post by jchung »

RyanJE wrote:Get a BDB and a Sette. Major upgrade and in budget. Done.
That was my first thought too when I saw the subject.

I would just add that the OP should not pay full price for the BDB. The OP should buy the BDB on sale from a retailer like Costco or Bed Bath & Beyond (20% off from BB&B).

HH

#7: Post by HH »

RyanJE wrote:Get a BDB and a Sette. Major upgrade and in budget. Done.
+3

ping279 (original poster)

#8: Post by ping279 (original poster) »

Is there much of difference between the sette models? Is the 30 AP a huge difference from the 270 and 270W?

RyanJE

#9: Post by RyanJE replying to ping279 »

The 30 is a brew grinder, you don't want that for espresso.

RyanJE

#10: Post by RyanJE »

jchung wrote:That was my first thought too when I saw the subject.

I would just add that the OP should not pay full price for the BDB. The OP should buy the BDB on sale from a retailer like Costco or Bed Bath & Beyond (20% off from BB&B).
Amazon often sells them outright for $999...