Unexpected Espresso Machine Discount

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Martin

#1: Post by Martin »

FWIW. I was on online "chat" checking availability of a machine model I wanted but not all vendors had. They did have it. I thanked the agent--said I'd think it over and get back if interested.

Then, before signing off, the agent offered 10% discount or $300+ off the listed price and what all other vendors were asking. 3 days later, I went back and made the purchase. Machine shipped several hours later--due in 2 days.

I'm OK to share the name of the store and the apparently popular machine if HB rules allow. At the very least, be aware that in this one case a discount was available even though it wasn't readily apparent.
Heat + Beans = Roast. All the rest is commentary.

Plinyyounger
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by Plinyyounger »

Most of the larger vendors we are aware of here, will offer better prices over the phone.
Family, coffee and fun.

HB
Admin

#3: Post by HB »

Martin wrote:I'm OK to share the name of the store and the apparently popular machine if HB rules allow. At the very least, be aware that in this one case a discount was available even though it wasn't readily apparent.
There's no site policy regarding sharing purchase specifics, assuming the posting member has a site history and wasn't incentivized to post by the vendor directly or indirectly.

Some background: Many manufacturers require minimum advertised price (MAP) agreements with vendors. That's why you'll see "call us [for better price]" on their website or ads. Generally speaking, vendors will ask buyers to use discretion about the actual price paid not to be coy, but to avoid the appearance of violating the MAP agreement.
Dan Kehn

Martin (original poster)

#4: Post by Martin (original poster) »

Zowie!! Capitalism sure makes the free market complicated. Guess I have the fantasy of "best-price-available-for-everyone," instead of hesitate, kick the tires, "uh, I-d-know. . .uh. . ." and hope the seller will sweeten the deal. Especially with fundamentally decent sellers just trying to make a buck. :wink:

zerphyte

#5: Post by zerphyte »

Artizan Coffee (https://www.artizancoffee.com) is one that will give better pricing over the phone from the MAP. I'm looking for a black EK43s and they were about the only ones who would knock anything off and dont charge sales tax or shipping. Sadly still not enough for where I need to be for an home EK but if buying new and list price its was decent. I'd check them out if looking for a machine.

Martin (original poster)

#6: Post by Martin (original poster) »

Following up. I purchased Lelit Bianca V3 in black. Since then I've heard from 2 more vendors offering discounts. So, yes, when spending major $$, definitely have a friendly chat with sales peep.

baristainzmking
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by baristainzmking »

Congrats on your new machine. You are going to love it!
Julia

Emoto

#8: Post by Emoto »

zerphyte wrote:Artizan Coffee (https://www.artizancoffee.com) is one that will give better pricing over the phone from the MAP. I'm looking for a black EK43s and they were about the only ones who would knock anything off and dont charge sales tax or shipping. Sadly still not enough for where I need to be for an home EK but if buying new and list price its was decent. I'd check them out if looking for a machine.
I followed that link and it seemed it was a place that only sold nespresso pods and related. I couldn't find anything like espresso makers or grinders. Did I manage to overlook something?

Ypuh

#9: Post by Ypuh »

With all big purchases I usually pick up the phone and ask what's possible. Most vendors won't allow me to call a 2nd store before they make an offer with like 10-15% off.

Usually it also allows me to get a feel for the business where I'm buying, which is worth something. It's not so much that I want the absolute lowest price. I want to buy at stores that give good vibes (knowledge, trust, friendly) and not see a lower offer at a competitor the next day that gives me a sour aftertaste.

This method worked just fine for my espresso machine, grinder, road bikes, car, couch, office chair etc. and I believe the sellers were just as happy too.
I don't want a Decent

Martin (original poster)

#10: Post by Martin (original poster) »

What's remarkable is that I've made significant purchases from 4 or 5 vendors with big online presences. All have been excellent; all have given patient phone help. Never had the need to return a machine for issues. So I'd shop price and give up a little (not much) for a short drive to get to their facility.