Uncommon entry-level E61 heat exchanger espresso machines? (Canada)

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Tyme

#1: Post by Tyme »

I'm looking to upgrade from a Gaggia Classic Pro to a E61 heat exchanger machine but am having a hard time convincing myself to spend >$2000 (CAD) on the popular entry-level machines like the Lelit Mara X, Rocket Appartamento, or Profitec Pro 500. Does anyone have recommendations for a non-popular E61 HX to save money? Preferably accessible in Canada.

I did take a look at the Magister Stella, sold by idrinkcoffee, and that's the only cheaper machine that fits my requirements. I can feel the cheaper construction in the steam/water knobs and the rougher motion of the wands, so I'm not sure if I'll be happy sacrificing the feel for the better price. Any alternatives? I definitely want an E61 (sorry, BDB) and also want a hot water wand which rules out things like the Bezzera Unica, which is similarly priced to the Magister Stella anyways.

I would love to buy a better E61 second-hand but ones in Canada are really rare on the buy/sell forum here. Seems like I'll have to get really lucky on the forums or Kijiji, or settle for the Magister Stella, or accept the >$2000 price tag on the popular machines.

cafeIKE

#2: Post by cafeIKE »

Perhaps a WTB [Want To Buy] in Buy/Sell here and possibly a short drive in the US, might pay dividends?

If you find something and it doesn't look like it's nearly new inside, pass.

I just sold this fully rebuilt 2006 Vibiemme Domobar Super HX PID

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by Nunas »

Did you actually go see a Stella? I had one for years and it was great. All standard parts inside. Okay, Teflon tubing where some might have put copper, but otherwise it was a solid performer. AS for the valves, they are spring-loaded so one does not draw them down too tight and damage the seals; that's industry-standard on decent machines. IMHO, it's one of the best deals on a commercially-rated HX. The group is Rancilio e61, about as standard as it gets. The new ones have PID control, not that it matters much on an HX. IDC has some open boxes and returns at the moment on sale.