Travel setup: What's the most compact electric espresso grinder?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
katkat

#1: Post by katkat »

Is it the Lagom mini? I am looking for the most compact grinder for a travel setup.
(I understand the a hand grinder would be much smaller, but I opt for electric, as a typical use case would be making 1-2 cups for each of the 4-5 people in my group.)

Thanks for your help!

Marmot

#2: Post by Marmot »

Yes, this is also the most compact one I can think of.

Another possibility could be a motorized hand grinder. The only compact solution I found in that regard is the Hario Electro Solo. I don't know if it would be compatible with and stronng enough for a good espresso hand grinder though.

Advertisement
katkat (original poster)

#3: Post by katkat (original poster) »

Marmot wrote: The only compact solution I found in that regard is the Hario Electro Solo.
Thanks! definitely interesting but pretty cumbersome vs. the Lagom Mini.

Marmot

#4: Post by Marmot »

What espresso machine will you be using?
On thing to consider with the Lagom Mini is the relatively long grinding time of up to one minute for a normal espresso dose. They also recommend to let the grinder rest 90 seconds after each use. But you also get less work in prepping a shot compared to a hand grinder.
I think for espresso the obsidian burrs would be my choice.

Jeff
Team HB

#5: Post by Jeff »

4-5 cups is probably within the duty-cycle recommendations for the Lagom Mini. 8-10, back-to-back, seems like a stretch for any travel setup, grinder or machine.

AFAIK, the Obsidian burrs aren't offered any more. At least for my tastes in medium-light and lighter roasts, the Moonshine burrs have provided excellent cups. The Mini Moonshine also worked very well with medium roasts such as George Howell Alchemy and B&W with the Micra.

katkat (original poster)

#6: Post by katkat (original poster) »

Marmot wrote:What espresso machine will you be using?
On thing to consider with the Lagom Mini is the relatively long grinding time of up to one minute for a normal espresso dose.
I'll be using a lever - Ponte Vecchio Export. The one minute grind time is a definite minus.... (I think that I'd be fine with the duty cycle though.)

Honestly, while the Lagom Mini is small, its power brick looks pretty large... I am debating whether I should just continue to use my Sette 270wi - it is larger but grinds much faster and I would not have to carry a scale.

spressomon

#7: Post by spressomon »

So far, once I got the puffer LObin recommended to deal with static retention on the lower burr area, my Arco has worked very well for my mobile espresso grinder (using it in electric form).

Having said that I couldn't resist ordering a Timemore 064S for compare.

Just got back home from using it everyday for thae past 3-weeks making 4-5 espressos for daily cappas.
No Espresso = Depresso

Advertisement
Marmot

#8: Post by Marmot »

One other small option I can think of is the Lelit PL43MMI (Fred). It has conical burrs and stepless adjustment and is very compact. I'm not sure if it is sold in the US though.

boren

#9: Post by boren »

Kingrinder K0 and any 3.6V electric screwdriver. You may need to tilt it if you want to grind light roasted beans, but most other grinders will stall immediately with such a weak tool, even with darker beans.

katkat (original poster)

#10: Post by katkat (original poster) »

Marmot wrote:One other small option I can think of is the Lelit PL43MMI (Fred). It has conical burrs and stepless adjustment and is very compact. I'm not sure if it is sold in the US though.
Interesting find! Thanks!