Travel Coffee

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
pacificmanitou

#1: Post by pacificmanitou »

http://www.oncoffeemakers.com/travel-es ... maker.html

Has anyone seen these before? It seems interesting, and I would love the ability to pull shots in the car, but if it's just a moka pot with its own power source, I'm excited over nothing
LMWDP #366

paradiseroasters

#2: Post by paradiseroasters »

Don't drink and drive, don't text and drive, and don't pull shots and drive.

It looks like a 12v moka pot. For travel coffee, you're better with the Melitta Travelmate :wink:
Brian Foster
Paradise Coffee Roasters

pacificmanitou (original poster)

#3: Post by pacificmanitou (original poster) »

Ive never seen one of those, I assume its a drip brewer of sorts?
LMWDP #366

Randy G.

#4: Post by Randy G. »

I have one of those! It comes in a canvas travel case with a matching container for coffee:

I also have this one by "Nesco" which comes in the hard case and runs on 12 volts or 110AC:

("Brazilian" decorative plate not included)
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

2StrokeBloke

#5: Post by 2StrokeBloke »

Hi,
If you are looking for a device to pull shots of actual espresso, I can tell you that the Mypressi Twist IS the finest machine I've seen yet. I've tried the Handpresso; don't waste your time. Well, if you do want to try it, I'll sell you mine.

The mypressi requires a source of heated water. You can preheat the mypressi by filling the water chamber with heated water a couple of times, or heat a larger amount of water and insert the mypressi 'group' into the hot water for a few minutes.
A 12 volt immersion heater would work fine I suppose, or just pull into almost any gas/food store and utilize the hot water taps on the coffee machines.

An added bonus to the mypressi is it's 'naked pf' capability! Eye candy as well as mouth candy.

The mypressi also requires specific type gas cartridges. Not a problem if you can have them mailed to your home, or just find a source in your hometown. Each cartridge pulls about 4 doubles, or 8 singles.

Pay close attention to the O rings! Loose one and your day is ruined, although the kit does come with spares.

If you are flying, the Mypressi can still accompany you both in checked or carry on baggage. I suggest carry on. You will get questioned about the device and cartridges, but at least you can present the evidence allowing their usage and possession rather than wind up at your destination only to find some TSA person has removed the cartridges because they didn't know you were allowed to bring them.

The following is from TSA's website listing the rules:
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/ ... items.shtm
Disabling Chemicals & Other Dangerous Items Carry-on Checked
Chlorine for Pools and Spas No No
Small compressed gas cartridges
(Up to 2 in life vests and 2 spares. The spares must accompany the life vests and presented as one unit) Yes Yes

And Canada's site:
http://www.catsa-acsta.gc.ca/page.aspx? ... es&lang=en

Self-inflating life-jackets

Air carriers may permit provided certain conditions are met.

Yes

Yes

(Note that you need to have an actual life vest!) (you can buy self-inflating life vests online or from a boat hardware shop)(I know, the steps we take to ensure proper espresso sure can raise eyebrows!).

Anyhow, I'm sure the mypressi would fit your bill for a proper espresso. Moka pots have their place..but at the risk of being flamed, I personally wouldn't call it espresso.

tekomino

#6: Post by tekomino »

Another thing to consider is Rossa Hand Espresso with grinder and as bonus you can even do pressure profiling with real-time pressure readout. Its pricey but its made to outlast you, solid brass construction, and it does not need any cartridges. This would be my choice for flying or traveling. You don't want TSA questioning why you need life vest and gas cartridges...

yakster
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by yakster »

I picked up some tool cases at Harbor Freight and some foam and made a travel case for my Twist that I'm very happy with.

I ended up getting a second case, they come with thin foam padding on the inside, which holds six 8 oz jelly jar sized canning jars of coffee plus a little room for a brush or a towel and holds three or four jars with an AeroPress and these two cases make up my travel / work kit.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

troposcuba

#8: Post by troposcuba »

again, not espresso, but you can't beat an aeropress and a OE LIdo for travel coffee. quick, easy, virtually no cleanup. It's the only way to travel as far as my experience has shown.
LMWDP #380

doubleOsoul

#9: Post by doubleOsoul »

yakster wrote:I picked up some tool cases at Harbor Freight and some foam and made a travel case for my Twist that I'm very happy with.

I ended up getting a second case, they come with thin foam padding on the inside, which holds six 8 oz jelly jar sized canning jars of coffee plus a little room for a brush or a towel and holds three or four jars with an AeroPress and these two cases make up my travel / work kit.
Yakster,
That's a slick set up. Brilliant idea that I think I'm gonna have to mimic (isn't that the sincerest form of flattery)? :D
OO

michaelbenis

#10: Post by michaelbenis »

Dennis, have you tried the Rosco?

I'm looking for something new for this years camping, having lost patience withe Mypressi (gassy and I keep losing o-rings), Bacchi (only really happy if its level) and Aeropress (I'd rather have filter/cafetierre).
LMWDP No. 237