Tough Time Deciding on a Drip Coffee Maker

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
callegro

#1: Post by callegro »

Hi guys...new to the forums,

Lately my cousin and I have been getting more and more into brewing coffee. I went from my old Cuisinart to a Bonavita. The Bonavita brews a great cup, however the carafe is not great, leaving a good amount of coffee and I am unable to pour the remainder. So now, I am in search of a better drip coffee maker. I'm not a fan of the single serve, just because I will most likely do more than one cup of coffee in the morning. My budget is ~$300. So if you guys have any suggestions, let me know!

FYI- I have been looking at the Breville Grind Control..the reviews are so so. Also the De'Longhi combo espresso/drip machine.

Thanks!

Eastsideloco

#2: Post by Eastsideloco »

Here's a list of SCA-certified home brewers:

https://sca.coffee/certified-home-brewer/

nrh

#3: Post by nrh »

callegro wrote:Hi guys...new to the forums,

Lately my cousin and I have been getting more and more into brewing coffee. I went from my old Cuisinart to a Bonavita. The Bonavita brews a great cup, however the carafe is not great, leaving a good amount of coffee and I am unable to pour the remainder. So now, I am in search of a better drip coffee maker. I'm not a fan of the single serve, just because I will most likely do more than one cup of coffee in the morning. My budget is ~$300. So if you guys have any suggestions, let me know!

FYI- I have been looking at the Breville Grind Control..the reviews are so so. Also the De'Longhi combo espresso/drip machine.

Thanks!
I have the Technivorm Moccamaster KBG-741, and I really like it. It also has a 5 year warranty. They have a variety of models to choose from depending on your preferences.
Nick H.

Capac

#4: Post by Capac »

I'd go with moccamaster myself... It probably isn't the best brewer now that brevilles and such exsist, but that heritage and reliability just seal the deal for me.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#5: Post by baldheadracing »

Thanks!
Bonavita makes optional double-wall glass carafes for the BV1900 and BV1500 ranges of brewers. There were a few complaints about the thermal carafes in these models - I think that they need pre-heating to retain heat effectively, and they sacrifice pour-ability (that last bit of coffee) for better heat retention. The double-wall glass design is (supposed) to get the last drop out, but won't be as effective at retaining heat http://bonavitaworld.com/product-categories/glass
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

SeaRizz

#6: Post by SeaRizz »

I've had the same Technivorm Mochamaster Clubline for somewhere near 17 years! Used nearly every day. I don't know the exact date of purchase only that it was around the time that I bought an old hobby farm and we used to joke that it drew so much power the lights dimmed. They did! I have replaced the basket a few times and the carafe has been dropped and survived but tapped on a corner and smashed to bits several times. The Mr. Coffee carafe from a thrift store is a good replacement and cheap. I have since moved back to the city of Minneapolis but still have the Mochamaster. It sees much less action these days but still puts out 203 degree water.

RyanJE

#7: Post by RyanJE »

Breville precision brewer or maybe OXO Barista brain.

The carafe on the Breville is probably one of the best carafes tho.
I drink two shots before I drink two shots, then I drink two more....

TomC
Team HB

#8: Post by TomC »

My Brazen brewer (that has seen very little use, but is now 6+ years old) has been crapping out on me the last few months. So frustrating because everything on it works perfectly fine except the solenoid that opens the valve into the basket. It's not a serviceable part. I've been weighing the options of getting the newer Connected model, versus dusting off the Bunn Trifecta. I only started using these kinds of drip brewers at work in the past 2 years, for home it's generally just a manual brew method, Kalita, etc...

I've had and sold a MoccaMaster. Built like a tank, I just wanted more control. The drip head wasn't the best and I got tired of sitting there stirring the grounds to saturate evenly.

OP's thread comes at a good time for me, since I'm trying to rationalize the newer Brazen since it's price has dropped quite a lot since it's release. I hate their carafe though.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

redbone

#9: Post by redbone »

TomC wrote:My Brazen brewer (that has seen very little use, but is now 6+ years old) has been crapping out on me the last few months. So frustrating because everything on it works perfectly fine except the solenoid that opens the valve into the basket.........
Friend had the same issue. Brazen replaced their known solenoid issue free of charge and he's had no issue since. Try giving them a call it maynot be free fix at this point but it may be a nominal fix.

Lately my cousin and I have been getting more and more into brewing coffee......

Thanks!
Why not just use a standard Melitta carafe as opposed to replacing the entire unit if you're otherwise happy with the brewer?
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

TomC
Team HB

#10: Post by TomC »

redbone wrote:Friend had the same issue. Brazen replaced their known solenoid issue free of charge and he's had no issue since. Try giving them a call it maynot be free fix at this point but it may be a nominal fix.
Already did. They won't support it at this point. They offered what looks like a $30 discount towards a Connected Brazen.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/