Tough Time Deciding on a Drip Coffee Maker - Page 3

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
TomC
Team HB

#21: Post by TomC »

SJM wrote:I don't quite understand.

Once the water pours over the grounds in the filter, "on" or "off" has no meaning.
The water sits in the cone until I open the closure at the bottom.

All "on" does is tell the machine to heat the the water and then to release it when it is the correct temperature AND the carafe is pushed in under the cone.

(Also, I am probably not as astute at parsing out the subtle difference you are looking for/at, but....probably someone else here would be better able to do so.)
You'd just be drawing out the total brew time, and the pre-wetted bed would be slightly cooler in temp. But you can't really drag out the "pre-wetting" phase (or whatever someone wants to call it), very long, because if the unit is on, the water will still flow into the basket and risk overflowing if the bed is already fully saturated.

Turning it off for about 45 seconds would allow the coffee to fully off-gas during that "pre-wetting" phase and likely yield a higher extraction. But this is just a guess.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

SJM

#22: Post by SJM »

Okay, so you are suggesting turning the machine off for 45 seconds after after the grounds are wet but before they are fully immersed.

I imagine this would have more impact for someone who does not use the immersion method.
And also for someone who brews more than 12 oz.

I will see if anyone steps up, and if not....remind me and I will try it for you.

Advertisement
homecoffeegear

#23: Post by homecoffeegear »

+1 for the Moccamaster. I've owned my KBT-741 for 10 years now and it works just as well today as it did the day I bought it. It's built like a tank and elegantly simple in its design & constuction.

The only thing I wish Technivorm would change, as others have pointed out, is the sprayhead. Since I also use a "partial immersion" method, it's not as big a deal - but if you'd rather be less hands-on, might be worthwhile to consider an aftermarket sprayhead like the one from ArtisanSmith.

Doug

allwooba

#24: Post by allwooba »

I had a moccamaster, and gave it up, gladly. A ridiculous machine, incapable of making a worthwhile cup, without a ridiculous amount of manual intervention. Can't speak to the other machines mentioned in this thread. However, manual chemex, or your pour-over method of choice, is not a lot of work.

baristainzmking
Supporter ♡

#25: Post by baristainzmking »

def wrote: however I prefer Hario V60 + Stagg EKG kettle.
Me too!!! Love my V60 and goose neck kettle.
Julia

espressotime

#26: Post by espressotime »

I'd buy a Braun Aromaster Classic.No better or worse than a Technivorm but for less tha a third of the price.,

redbone

#27: Post by redbone »

If you use fresh roasted and fresh ground beans go with a machine that offers a pulse / pause in the brew cycle that allows for blooming and saturation of grind bed. No manual on / off user intervention required just one button press until brewing has completed.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549