Tough Time Deciding on a Drip Coffee Maker - Page 2

Recommendations for espresso equipment buyers and upgraders.
redbone

Postby redbone » Jan 11, 2019, 10:52 am

TomC wrote:Already did. They won't support it at this point. They offered what looks like a $30 discount towards a Connected Brazen.

Brazen have resolved their issue according to friend and online feedback. Only issue with Brazen and a few other units such as the Breville is their longer brew times vs Bonavita or Motif coffee dripper. If longer time is not an issue the Brazen Connected would be tempting.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

SJM

Postby SJM » Jan 11, 2019, 1:24 pm

Technivorm Moccamaster is the only one being discussed that I have any experience with, but my experience is that it is just perfect.
The brew temperature is right (so I've been told).
You can (I do) close the bottom of the dripper so that you get the extraction you want.
The thermal carafe does a reasonable job of holding the temp until I'm ready for my second cup (I rinse it out with hot water before brewing).

If anything happened to mine I'd replace it in a heartbeat.

P.S. I don't know anything about 'stirring'; when I take the paper filter out the grounds look to me as if they have all been quite evenly saturated, and I have no complaints about the taste in the cup. Perhaps this is an issue which was and no longer is? I can't comment on that.

P.P.S. Yes, I use a Melitta filter inside the gold one that comes with the unit. It makes clean up soooooo much easier.

hbn

Postby hbn » Jan 11, 2019, 6:38 pm

Piling on with the others, count me in as another nod towards Moccamaster. Was the best thing ever until I got in to espresso

Ric858

Postby Ric858 » Jan 12, 2019, 7:49 pm

Another moccamaster owner here- ditto what everyone else said. The only thing I can knock it for is aesthetics, it's not pretty to my eye. Makes great coffee, though.
"Coffee is the lifeblood that fuels the dreams of champions."

def

Postby def » Jan 13, 2019, 2:40 pm

+1 on the Moccamaster, however I prefer Hario V60 + Stagg EKG kettle.

redbone

Postby redbone » Jan 13, 2019, 4:59 pm

What stopped me from buying the Moccamaster was their poorly designed spray head. Does not fan enough shooting straight down into basket and not wetting all grinds. Akin to bias ply tires on a new a Ferrari.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

SJM

Postby SJM » Jan 13, 2019, 5:07 pm

I wonder if the reason I don't notice this is that I use the option of closing off the drip and letting the grounds soak for a bit before opening it up again and letting the coffee flow through to the carafe. I just looked at the spent grounds in the filter and they are all quite uniformly wetted.
The results are excellent using this immersion method.
Perhaps for a true pour through they might not be...
Interesting....

redbone

Postby redbone » replying to SJM » Jan 13, 2019, 5:10 pm

Moccamaster may have corrected the known issue. Even recall a third party shower head being offered with better spray coverage.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

TomC
Team HB

Postby TomC » Jan 13, 2019, 5:38 pm

SJM wrote:I wonder if the reason I don't notice this is that I use the option of closing off the drip and letting the grounds soak for a bit before opening it up again and letting the coffee flow through to the carafe. I just looked at the spent grounds in the filter and they are all quite uniformly wetted.
The results are excellent using this immersion method.
Perhaps for a true pour through they might not be...
Interesting....

Would you humor me with a brief test with your Technivorm? It's something I've been thinking about the past few days. I regret not trying this when I owned mine.

It's a purely subjective taste evaluation. I'd love to read your thoughts on whether the brew made the way you're describing above is better than, same as or worse than doing the exact same thing, except in the second batch, turn the machine off briefly, for about 45 seconds, after the bed gets wetted.

Here's why I ask:

In our old Brazen threads, everyone seemed deeply impressed by the 1:30 second "pre-wetting" capabilities. In one of our mokka pot threads, we discussed pre-wetting the bed of darker roasted coffees with cold water, which resulted in better cup results. I'm wondering if on a brewer like the MoccaMaster, the same can be replicated by simply turning the machine off after the bed is saturated? Since it's rather analogue, the only way to extend this "pre-wetting" time is to simply shut it off for a bit.

SJM

Postby SJM » Jan 13, 2019, 5:59 pm

I don't quite understand.

Once the water pours over the grounds in the filter, "on" or "off" has no meaning.
The water sits in the cone until I open the closure at the bottom.

All "on" does is tell the machine to heat the the water and then to release it when it is the correct temperature AND the carafe is pushed in under the cone.

(Also, I am probably not as astute at parsing out the subtle difference you are looking for/at, but....probably someone else here would be better able to do so.)