Torn between completely different espresso machines - Page 7

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
mrgnomer

#61: Post by mrgnomer »

I've never been to Naples. Am interested now just for the espresso.

The crema is lighter most likely because of the lighter roast level in the Forte blend. There may be less robusta in the Forte blend than some Neapolitan cafe blends but you can taste the note and the crema is pretty good even though the roast is about 3 weeks old.

In the Naples videos I've seen, there's extraction residue all over the portafilters and lever machine group heads. It's hard, I imagine, to keep the machines clean during the day given the volume of extraction the cafes pull. That residue probably gets a little burnt on to impart flavour and color to successive shots.
Kirk
LMWDP #116
professionals do it for the pay, amateurs do it for the love

mrgnomer

#62: Post by mrgnomer »

You're welcome. I very much appreciate the chance to learn more about espresso and share it.

The music brings the cafe home :D
Kirk
LMWDP #116

Denetto 37

#63: Post by Denetto 37 »

Very good explanation.

Indeed, the sheer amount of shots during a normal day in Naples is a contributing factor to the overall taste of the coffee.

Thanks again mrgnomer!

borisp (original poster)

#64: Post by borisp (original poster) »

Hey guys, I still haven't made a purchase, nor have I made up my mind.

I have a question regarding the steam pressure and power. Profitec's steam pressure is about 1.2-1.3 bars, correct?
And a machine like the Lelit Elizabeth can be set up to 2 bars. The boiler is much smaller on the Elizabeth but videos show that the steam is plenty consistent over time.

My question is whether higher pressure is necessarily more powerful, i.e faster? Or the tip's aperture and holes quantity does affect it significantly as well? And if so, how significant is that?

borisp (original poster)

#65: Post by borisp (original poster) »

I have purchased a Profitec 800 V1 from a local dealer for a relatively discounted price. In the receipt, they included a grinder I didn't ask for, a Profitec Pro M54, as a gift.

I have a Eureka Specialita. Which one should I sell?

It should arrive next week. I'm excited.

Appreciate the comments and the discussion around my thread as well as the plethora of other threads and information I digested on HB.

Now I must take care of the water situation and prepare proper water treatment for the machine.

dingrr

#66: Post by dingrr »

borisp wrote:I have purchased a Profitec 800 V1 from a local dealer for a relatively discounted price. In the receipt, they included a grinder I didn't ask for, a Profitec Pro M54, as a gift.

I have a Eureka Specialita. Which one should I sell?
Open the M54 and try it out! You will then never wonder "Should I have..." Also, more knowledge and experience to share. Sell whichever you like least. It's not like you're losing bucks selling open box vs NIB since it cost you nothing.

Looking forward to hearing your experience with the Profitec 800.

borisp (original poster)

#67: Post by borisp (original poster) »

Did it, the Specialita is staying.

I like the machine, it feels like having a beast in the kitchen. I have some build issues like: tiny bent on drip tray but it's not rattling thank god; there is a noise when I pull the lever without a puck, like steel is being bent or something, the top cover isn't symmetric, idk if all those are significant enough to deal with the dealer...

My steam tip is 2-hole and not a 4 hole. I'd like to try a 4 hole sometime...

Biggest operational issue is difficulty of dialing in the espresso. It's so weird.

I use stock 14g double. Dose 16g in it. Quite fine.
During pre infusion there are no drops at all. When I release after between 8-16s, the flow is too fast, like gushing fast...

Should I grind finer, coarser?

mrgnomer

#68: Post by mrgnomer »

You could try to adjust the grinder to fine while it's running until the burrs touch and chirp. Go coarser from there and see how it affects the extraction.

Preparation of the puck is really the important variable, IMHO. Try dosing to what the basket is designed for. WDT the grinds to break up the clumps and distribute the grinds as evenly as possible in the basket and tamp to seal the edges and be as level as possible.

You can experiment with your preinfusion by timing how long the lever is down until extraction happens. The first while with a new machine is getting to know how it extracts and dialing in the grind. Try to limit changing variables like dose, grind setting, puck prep, tamper type...to one at a time and see what the effect is when you change it. Puck prep is very important for extraction control with dose, grind evenness, distribution in the basket and tamp pressure the variables I focus on.
Kirk
LMWDP #116