Torn between completely different espresso machines - Page 6

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
mrgnomer

#51: Post by mrgnomer »

I will do that. To make it easy I won't disconnect the pump but just not pull the lever down all the way to trigger it. With a plumb in my preinfusion line pressure is about 2.5bar, higher than a dip tube boiler pressure of the Profitec 800 I believe. I'm not sure how much a slightly higher line pressure preinfusion will affect the extraction character if at all. I'll try to make a good video to share it here.
Kirk
LMWDP #116
professionals do it for the pay, amateurs do it for the love

baldheadracing
Team HB

#52: Post by baldheadracing »

Denetto 37 wrote:I will be ordering the Forte even if shipping is quite expensive. If it produces the espresso I'm looking for them it'll be worth it. Good coffee in Ottawa is hard to find!
You could order from espressoplanet.com in Mississauga. Free shipping at $30 and you can collect Aeroplan miles. https://www.espressoplanet.com/Barocco-Coffee/

Barocco themselves have free shipping at $50. If you like it, then order a couple of the 2lb/909g bags, split the coffee out into glass jars like Mason jars, and freeze the coffee.

FWIW, with Forte, I would start with a straight 8 bar (on the group) shot with the Bianca and forget the flow profiling. Then maybe slow the pressure buildup a bit. On the Strega I would run the pre-infusion pump until the noise changes, and then lift the lever. The hard part on the Strega would be the cooling flush, so I'd start with just a three second flush just before locking the portafilter in. Use a puck screen if you have one. YMMV, that's just my tastes, and everyone is different.

ETA: for the above, 14g dose in the stock Bezzera double basket. I don't know what a Bianca comes with, but don't use a VST.

(I actually pull Forte on the DS, but that's not very helpful.)
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Advertisement
Denetto 37

#53: Post by Denetto 37 »

That's great baldheadracing. I will order through espressoplanet first and give it a try on bianca.

That would be very kind of you mrgnomer! I can't wait to hear of the outcome on the Strega! And a video would be extremely appreciated.

mrgnomer

#54: Post by mrgnomer »

Just picked up some Barocco Forte. Looking forward to experimenting with classic lever Neapolitans.
Kirk
LMWDP #116

Denetto 37

#55: Post by Denetto 37 »

Anxiously awaiting feedback on your results...

mrgnomer

#56: Post by mrgnomer »

Very nice so far. I've been watching neapolitan lever extractions. Been getting good results with 18g Baristapro basket dosed 18g and following 10sec pump less preinfusion and letting it go. Hope to video a good extraction.
Kirk
LMWDP #116

mrgnomer

#57: Post by mrgnomer »

Kirk
LMWDP #116

Advertisement
mrgnomer

#58: Post by mrgnomer »

First time video share. Sorry, doesn't show the lever being pulled. I pull down to just before the vibe pump triggers and hold it there for 10 seconds then gently release it holding the lever with light resistance until the point of extraction at which point I fully release it. It simulates the lever pulls I've been watching where the preinfusion pressure looks like what comes from a dip tube boiler pressure. My Strega is plumbed in and has line pressure of about 22 psi which I believe makes the preinfusion pressure a little higher than dip tube. Haven't tried lowering the flow control line pressure to compensate. Don't know if it would make a big difference.

The flush is to cool the grouphead and the rebound is to start extraction at lower temp to accommodate a darker, robusta blend roast. Don't know what the real affect of flush and rebound time consistently is relative to real temperature. I've looked at the Scace graphs posted to get a ball park timing on flush/rebound time temperature. It's more of a shot in the dark but the extraction with the Forte tastes good at that rebound time.

I will probably try more videos and post better ones. Really liking playing with the Strega for different extractions.
Kirk
LMWDP #116

Denetto 37

#59: Post by Denetto 37 »

Great setup!

Wonderful pour on that Barroco Forte, perfect mouse tail!

The shot looks great with excellent colour. The consistency, when I compare it to the below pic from a bar in Napoli, appears a little thinner (but not much). I'm wondering if the Strega can replicate a shot like in the pic.

Thank you so much for the video and explanation, and for showing me the capabilities of the Strega vis a vis a classic Neapolitan caffè. I really appreciate it. If you have more videos or comments to share, I'd be much grateful...

Denetto 37

#60: Post by Denetto 37 »

...oh, and the Neapolitan music in the background...a classy touch.