Time to decide: La Marzocco Linea Mini or profiling E61

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
drown

#1: Post by drown »

Finally sold my starter machine ( a Crossland CC1 ) and have the budget for essentially any upgrade. Had it narrowed down to a LMLM vs. a Lelit Bianca, however the modified Profitec 700 is now on the list. I can't check out the Lelit or Profitec in person. I have looked at the LM in person. It's smaller than I expected but seems solid, is well reviewed and looks like it will last forever with good support from LM.

I start my day with an espresso followed by a cap or latte. My spouse will soon be partaking as well of the same. Weekends will need more. Milk steaming power and consistency and temperature stability are the main improvements I am looking forward to. My Crossland had the ability to pre infuse. I used it but never experimented with it enough to really learn about its effect. The LM cannot do this. I wonder if it is something I will miss down the toad. The ability to "play" and experiment with more variables is causing me pause in buying the LM. Form factor and looks, milk steaming, reliability it is hands down the machine I want.

If you have been down this road. If you have considered these choices, these machines, I would really like to hear about your decision making.

Ultimately, down the road I can sell and swap for a different machine if I'm unhappy. So maybe I'm overthinking this.

This will be paired with a Eureka Atom 65 in case it matters. But considering adding a single dosing conical burr grinder eventually. However this doesn't factor in my decision on the machine.

Thoughts?
Geography is War

Stanford55
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by Stanford55 »

I'm sure you have seen this thread, but it might merit another look:

La Marzocco Linea Mini review

I was struck by the OP's first word under the 'experience' section on pg. 1. One machine offers the ability to experiment and play with many variables, the other one doesn't; both seem consistent, dependable and well-made. I'm looking at the Bianca mostly because I'd like to try lighter roasts and it seems uniquely designed to handle them.

arcus

#3: Post by arcus »

I have a completely untested theory that this decision is similar to Android vs. Apple. People in the Apple camp will choose the LMLM because of company reputation and brand appeal. Android users will love the value and features they get with the Bianca.

mgwolf
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by mgwolf »

I think it comes down to whether you want to do pressure profiling or not. The LMLM seems to do well with lighter roasted coffees according to some (see Nuketopia's posts). The LMLM makes a great cup of espresso, but if that's not enough, look at a profiling machine.

Chert

#5: Post by Chert »

LMLM for the reasons you are in favor of it.

If you want to play with extraction variables, find a cheap used La Pavoni.

How is your grinder in pairing with new machine? [ ignore this ?, 65 mm flat burr grinder is the Eureka, looking again at OP]
LMWDP #198

guydebord

#6: Post by guydebord »

Profiling is a true game changer and the future of espresso. It has made pulling a shot even more enjoyable and puts you in complete command of your extraction, but more importantly it has opened up so many possibilities with beans I thought impossible to use on espresso. Another amazing advantage is that precise "dialing in" ceased to be a hassle, I hardly waste beans on the process. I wouldn't even think of going back to a normal machine after getting the Bianca. Its night and day, really, night and day.
In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

nuketopia

#7: Post by nuketopia »

I have yet to find an example of a good quality coffee that could not be pulled with great results on the Linea Mini in the last three years.

Including some very unusual roasts, like Chromatic's "Radio" espresso, on the extreme light end of the spectrum.

Most recently, have pulled Dragonfly Leam Hammer and Gotham Degrees North (many threads on these two on H-B) and both are stellar. My reviews of the coffee are up. Also, I've reviewed most of LaMarzocco's Home Subscription, which feature a different roaster every month, in the coffee section of this forum.

I'm not saying lots of dials and gizmos are a bad thing, but not having them hasn't been limiting in the slightest.

Once dialed in, the Linea Mini is very stable and repeatable. I get rewarded to the same great shot over and over.

arcus

#8: Post by arcus »

mgwolf wrote:I think it comes down to whether you want to do pressure profiling or not. The LMLM seems to do well with lighter roasted coffees according to some (see Nuketopia's posts). The LMLM makes a great cup of espresso, but if that's not enough, look at a profiling machine.
You may be right but I plan to experiment with profiling but chose the LMLM. Eventually, I may add that functionality.

TV33

#9: Post by TV33 »

hello
it is possible to add this option to LMLM?

slipchuck

#10: Post by slipchuck »

I believe Rocket also has a profiling option as well

Randy
“There is nobody you can’t learn to like once you’ve heard their story.”