Time for a real espresso upgrade. What do you suggest - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Chaplain (original poster)

#11: Post by Chaplain (original poster) »

Thanks for the reply's. A handful of the recommended machines I have already been looking for (like the Gaggie). That tells me I'm looking in the right direction as well as some others that I haven't even looked into. So thanks for the imput.

There are a couple used machines down here in Southern CA that I'm curious about. Both come from enthusiasts and are well cared for.
1) Pasquini Livietta T2 for $475 + optional Lux stepless grinder for another $175 ask.
2) Pasquini Livia 90 for $475 ask

Any options on these two machines? Things to know? Run too or run away?

#12: Post by Chaplain (original poster) »

Jeff wrote:Unless you get really, really lucky, even a 10 or 20 year-old HX machine is going to be hard to buy at that price point, and then likely needs $50 in gaskets and potentially needs $100-300 in parts.
What are you goals with a new machine?
Does your budget include a new grinder?
I understand that my purchase budget is on the very low side (got kids and stuff). Currently I have a burr grinder that can get me buy until a later date when it can be upgraded, so no the budget doesn't include a new grinder. If I spend $500 today for a great machine that needs an additional $50-150 of love/parts/rehab I'm good with that. I can piece a machine together over time and have something that I really cherish in the end. I'm pretty handy/mechanical and build stuff out of my garage and other race shops so building something special would be all the more pleasurable.

To me coffee brings enjoyment in 4 categories:
1) the process of making it (items like kureg, even that new spinn machine do nothing for me.)
2) consumption, drinking a quality cup of course
3) sharing it with others
4) knowledge of what it takes to make a quality cup.

Jeff
Team HB

#13: Post by Jeff »

A generic "burr grinder" may well be a limiting factor with any machine. An espresso-capable hand grinder starts at around $170. That and a Cafelat Robot would be my suggestion, adding a $15-class milk frother if you want milk drinks.

BruceWayne

#14: Post by BruceWayne »

There's stuff for sale in the forums. Poke around. I'd be very leery of an old machine with two thermoblocks and no boiler, that Livietta T2. No idea on the second machine. You're likely better off getting a manual lever and a good hand grinder at $500.

#15: Post by Chaplain (original poster) »

Thank you. For sure looking in the classifieds on here! See something that you think would be a great buy, please post in here to make sure I don't miss it.. Best way to get something out of a community is to invest into it.

#16: Post by Chaplain (original poster) »

I just won a bid for a Rancilio Silvia with PID. Sounds like it needs a little work but looking forward to getting it going.
Any good sites for hot rodding these out a little?

NicoNYC

#17: Post by NicoNYC replying to Chaplain »

Congrats, honestly I think the Silvia-style boiler over the grouphead is a lot easier to get a handle on than most HX machines. Especially with a PID, getting a consistent brew temp is way easier. Buy/make a portafilter pressure gauge if you want to dial in the pressure of your opv. And if the history of the machine is unknown, consider a peek in the boiler to see if there's any scale, better to deal with it early.
LMWDP #718

#18: Post by Chaplain (original poster) »

I've completly tore the whole thing apart for cleaning. Also sent the frame and body to powder coaters and have installed a pressure gauge. Should be good for more years of shot pulling.

#19: Post by Chaplain (original poster) »

Just some pics of the Silvia I picked up and have been restoring back proper. BEFORE PICS:

Starting to put it back togeather after major cleaning, polishing, new gaskets, changed all hardware to stainless, added pressure gauge, R/R PID, new screen, bottomless porterfilter, and new basket. Also added a couple layers of sound/thermal protection throughout to help keep broiler/group_head temps up and noise down.
CURRENT PICS:

More pics to come.

BKH

#20: Post by BKH »

Congrats!