Time for a new espresso machine, budget around $1500 - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
gobucks

#11: Post by gobucks »

FWIW, I have used both the steam preinfusion on the Elizibeth, as well as the passive bloom preinfusion (when I was having issues w my steam boiler temp probe leaking). The passive bloom PI was... ok, better than nothing, but I thought the results with steam PI were much better, with a more evenly soaked puck. Since the Victoria doesn't have a steam boiler, the best possible PI implementation would be like the passive bloom PI of the Elizabeth, but judging by the discussions I've seen online about it, it doesn't even sound that good - there is no mention of a programmable bloom period, in fact it's not even clear that there is any bloom period at all. Elizabeth is pretty much the cheapest game in town as far as machines with PID, real preinfusion, and on-demand steaming.

BaristaMcBob

#12: Post by BaristaMcBob »

If you've been happy with a single boiler machine, then I don't see much point in spending twice as much as a Gaggia for another single boiler set up.

Your $1500 budget is tough because it's in between price points, So you have to scout for something on sale, like this for example

https://www.wholelattelove.com/collect ... uct-specs

jgood

#13: Post by jgood »

I would stretch a little (if possible) and get an E61 double boiler from one of the major Italian brands. It's a good, proven design and I doubt you'll regret it. Quickmill, Profitec and so forth. Also consider the vendor carefully, as they're a great source of info and help. The one HX machine that is interesting is the Mara X -- read the review on HB. It's also a bit more economical than the E61 DB machines.