Three E61 espresso machines and cannot decide which to buy - Page 4

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
PeetsFan

#31: Post by PeetsFan »

BaristaBoy E61 wrote:Let me draw your attention to these links:

Your machine I believe. "Frame Material - Steel" Not 'Stainless Steel'. However, at about 13-minutes into the video he does say it's a 'Stainless Steel Fame'. So which is it? I believe the Tech Specs for now.

https://www.wholelattelove.com/collecti ... so-machine
I looked at Bezzera's website to try to figure out what their frames are made of. Bezzera says the frames and bodies are made of AISI 304. I didn't know what AISI 304, so I Googled it, and Wikipedia says that AISI 304 is stainless steel.

I tried to look this up for the ECM Synchronika, and couldn't find any info, but I would bet they're also stainless, because they are considered top quality.

BaristaBoy E61

#32: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

The published Spec say, 'Quote':

Cup Warmer Material - Stainless Steel
Drip Tray Cover Material - Stainless Steel
Drip Tray Material - Stainless Steel
Housing Material - Stainless Steel
Steam Wand Material - Stainless Steel
Frame Material - Steel

Is the 'Frame Material - Steel' an error?
I'll go with published Specs.
I could be wrong; I hope I'm wrong.

ECM is Powder Coated Steel as far a I know. Why would you paint Stainless Steel? Check the link provided in my post above.

All these machines will serve their owners well and might produce coffee that is indistinguishable one from the other in skilled hands. I personally look for features that set one apart from another, such as a Stainless Steel frame and/or a Rotary Pump that is vertically mounted on rubber grommets with the electric motor above the pump so that if the pump ever leaked it's unlikely to ever leak into the motor, ability to easily drain the boilers and easily adjust pump pressure, as well as the reputation of the vendor for after sales service, parts and technical support.

YMMV
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

Plinyyounger

#33: Post by Plinyyounger »

Enjoy your new machine, I bet you will really enjoy it!

As far as the stainless steel frame conversation, to each his own, but I'd put more thought into stainless boilers rather then the frame, but that's just me. My machine repair tech who does a yearly clean maintenance insists the lack of scale issues I have is the good water and stainless boilers.

I have never seen a properly maintained e61 have a rust frame issue which effects it's function.
Family, coffee and fun.

jgood

#34: Post by jgood »

cajunbaseball wrote:I ordered the Vetrano from Chris's. Great attentiveness to my many questions before the sale. I hope that keeps up after the sale. I plan to love the machine and hope I do.

Thank you all again for the comments.
Another Chris Coffee fan -- they've given me great after sale support.

PeetsFan

#35: Post by PeetsFan »

BaristaBoy E61 wrote:The published Spec say, 'Quote':

Cup Warmer Material - Stainless Steel
Drip Tray Cover Material - Stainless Steel
Drip Tray Material - Stainless Steel
Housing Material - Stainless Steel
Steam Wand Material - Stainless Steel
Frame Material - Steel

Is the 'Frame Material - Steel' an error?
I'll go with published Specs.
I could be wrong; I hope I'm wrong.

ECM is Powder Coated Steel as far a I know. Why would you paint Stainless Steel? Check the link provided in my post above.

All these machines will serve their owners well and might produce coffee that is indistinguishable one from the other in skilled hands. I personally look for features that set one apart from another, such as a Stainless Steel frame and/or a Rotary Pump that is vertically mounted on rubber grommets with the electric motor above the pump so that if the pump ever leaked it's unlikely to ever leak into the motor, ability to easily drain the boilers and easily adjust pump pressure, as well as the reputation of the vendor for after sales service, parts and technical support.

YMMV
I'm going to ask you to read my post again. I quoted the spec from Bezzera's site and they list the type of stainless they use. WLL doesn't make the machine, Bezzera does, and I showed you the link to their site, etc.

So I assume you scanned my post too quickly. As for ECM, I don't know.

jgood

#36: Post by jgood »

Is there anyone out there who has had a machine frame rust out? I would focus on the other aspects of the machines -- if there's water on the frame somethings leaking and you'll see it on the counter. Who you buy the machine from is important as you'll have questions and eventually need parts or service advice - unless you're lucky enough to live near a reputable dealer - in which case that would be a reason to favor them and the brands they sell.
★ Helpful

elkayem

#37: Post by elkayem replying to jgood »

The bottom of my old Silvia frame (under the drip tray) rusted quite a bit. But honestly, it didn't affect the flavor of the espresso at all. :D

BaristaBoy E61

#38: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

PeetsFan wrote:I'm going to ask you to read my post again. I quoted the spec from Bezzera's site and they list the type of stainless they use. WLL doesn't make the machine, Bezzera does, and I showed you the link to their site, etc.

So I assume you scanned my post too quickly. As for ECM, I don't know.
Leaving ECM out for now and looking at the link you provided for your machine. Yes, according to Bezzera's website, your machine has a Stainless Steel frame. Why other sites don't specifically say, 'Stainless Steel', I don't know. Perhaps Bezzera should also say Stainless Steel in addition to AISI 304 (14301) as not every know what AISI 304 (14301) is - Most everyone clearly understands 'Stainless Steel'.

BTW: WLL website STILL lists your machine (Bezzera Duo MN) as, "Frame Material Steel". Perhaps you can ask them to correct their website.

https://www.wholelattelove.com/collecti ... duct-specs

As DB E61 machines are functionally so alike, for me one of the best ways to choose, aside from dealer & price, is based on features, even if that happens to be something as simple and basic as placement of the pressure gauges either high or low, based on what you like.

Like kids in a candy store, how fortunate we are that a robust, competitive Free Market System has provided us with a Cornucopia of so many choices.
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

PeetsFan

#39: Post by PeetsFan »

BaristaBoy E61 wrote:Why other sites don't specifically say, 'Stainless Steel', I don't know. Perhaps Bezzera should also say Stainless Steel in addition to AISI 304 (14301) as not every know what AISI 304 (14301) is - Most everyone clearly understands 'Stainless Steel'.
My guess is they confused it with "Polished Stainless Steel." Or, maybe in this price point, they get buyers who think stainless is always polished to a mirror finish, and they return the machines if the stainless isn't polished. I mean, we're a bunch of coffee fanatics, but there are plenty of 1%'ers who ask for the most expensive thing and return it because the wood grain isn't perfect.

cajunbaseball (original poster)

#40: Post by cajunbaseball (original poster) »

jgood wrote:Another Chris Coffee fan -- they've given me great after sale support.
Was making poison out of the machine at first. Chris's folks gave some good advice and now I'm drinking espresso! So far, very happy with the machine and Chris's, but it's been less than a week!