Thinking of upgrading Breville Dual Boiler, but to what?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
KoffeeNewb

#1: Post by KoffeeNewb »

Hello all!
Hope everyone is doing well

I plan on eventually retiring my BDB 920 and getting an E61 HX machine.

One thing I was worried about was losing the ease and forgiveness of the BDB switching to an HX

Any suggestions for this transition or tips?

Should I just stick to the BDB?

Mainly want to switch for feared reliability issues of the BDB, plus I love the look of the tradition espresso machines

LukeFlynn

#2: Post by LukeFlynn »

If you really like the BDB, I think you would like a Linea Mini.

I plan to replace my BDB with a LMLM in a few years time.

It's pretty similar in thermal design, and probably just as forgiving. It doesn't have all of the bells and whistles like programed pre-infusion, etc. But, it's a La Marzocco, and I think that says a lot on it's own.

Advertisement
russel

#3: Post by russel »

Unless you find a way to sell it for more than 50% of what you paid (75% would be optimistic), I would just run your BDB into the ground. You have a great grinder. If you're looking for adventure you should pick up a used Europiccola, a Caravel, or a Peppina. That should cost you about $300 and provide a completely new shot pulling challenge. If you like the LP you can always move up to a Cremina when one you like becomes available. The Caravel and Peppina are great just they way they are, although I still find the ES machines pretty tempting and Paul Pratt is currently cooking something up...
russel at anacidicandbitterbeverage dot com

Bill33525
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by Bill33525 »

I had the 900 and a 920; upgraded to a QM Vetrano 2B Evo. Would recommend a double boiler over HX, not that much more money. If upgrading then you want to feel like you went up in features and performance not sideways or even down.
Good luck with your choice in new equipment.

h3yn0w

#5: Post by h3yn0w »

Chose an e61 HX over a BDB and have had no regrets. Beautiful, reliable and the e61 is itself a very forgiving setup. Cooling flush is a piece of cake too.

Actually my only regret is not getting a plumbable machine.

LeakyLandy

#6: Post by LeakyLandy »

When my third replacement BDB started leaking on the counter and I was faced with a $350 service charge I decided to go with a VBM HX Junior. All the fine tuning features of the BDB were impressive; but to be honest, I never used them, so I figured I would not miss them. If my taste ever evolves to the point where brew temperature, etc. make a difference, I'll probably get a thermometer for the E61 brew head. I think that and one of those cool electronic timer scales that you can put on the drip tray would probably provide more than enough bells and whistles for me.

I'm keeping the Breville for now in the garage. One of these days I'll open it up and see what I can do to find and fix the leak it has developed. At that point it will become a backup or hand-me-down. I think one great strength of the Breville is that it allows rank amateurs like myself to pull excellent shots of espresso from the get go.

LukeFlynn

#7: Post by LukeFlynn »

My BDB developed a leak at the level probe connection, I called breville and they wanted 350. I'm running it as is until it totally breaks that way I am guaranteed a replacement @ the 350 cost. I don't want to pay 350 for a possible quick fix.

Advertisement
thecatch83

#8: Post by thecatch83 »

Linea Mini or Vesuvius....

tegee

#9: Post by tegee replying to thecatch83 »

You have to be aware that not everyone has $4k+ to spend on an espresso machine.

It's so easy to make these recommendations, but one's budget has to be part of the equation IMHO.

thecatch83

#10: Post by thecatch83 »

tegee wrote:You have to be aware that not everyone has $4k+ to spend on an espresso.

It's so easy to make these recommendations, but ones budget has to be part of the equation IMHO.
Nowhere in the OP was budget mentioned...so it's a little presumptuous of you to speak for someone else. And if you read this thread in its entirety, you would see that I wasn't the only one recommending the LMLM and more expensive DB prosumers.