Thinking about upgrading my Bezzera Strega - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
youssef1988 (original poster)

#11: Post by youssef1988 (original poster) »

Auctor wrote:Mine is the ECM Synchronika, which is made by the same/sister company as the Profitec 700. If you want flow control on a budget, maybe look into a single boiler E61 and add flow control, and use your Bezzera for steam.

The reason I mentioned the more expensive products is that after a certain point (~$2000) within the E61 family, you are paying for aesthetics. My Synchronika is not better in the cup compared to a Profitec 600, which is almost $1000 cheaper. But the Sync has a rotary pump (instead of vibe), bigger steam boiler, can be plumbed, and (in my opinion) looks WAY better. To me, it was worth paying the difference, even if my espresso tastes exactly the same.

The other machines I've mentioned have significant enhancements compared to the Profitec 700 or Lelit Bianca. Whether you find those enhancements valuable is up to you.

Any machines in the 2000-2500 price range you would recommand?
Your machine is lovely! But 3000 bit to much

Auctor

#12: Post by Auctor »

I'd want to understand more about your situation, like: 1) will this replace your lever or sit next to it; 2) besides flow control and making milk drinks, what else do you want from the machine; 3) are you into mostly medium and dark beans, or are you a light roast kinda guy?

My recommendation would be to do some digging around here, because some version of this Q has been asked many times already. You could also start a new thread with some of your requirements and desires.

My short list* in your situation (without knowing more) would be:

ECM Classika w/ flow - single boiler
Lelit Mara X w/ flow - heat exchanger
Profitec 600 w/ flow - double boiler

*I have no direct experience with these machines.
★ Helpful

#13: Post by youssef1988 (original poster) replying to Auctor »

No will sell my lever...

And would like a machine that makes lever quality drinks
Mostly medium roast

And my big question is.. can it match the strega in flavor

Auctor

#14: Post by Auctor »

My take is that Pro 600 w/ flow is the winner given your requirements:

1) Flow control <== original ask
2) Many milk drinks <== double boiler is a winner
3) Price <$2500
4) Strong reputation / easily repairable (reputation on HB is well known and liked)

Couple of trade-offs - 600 cannot be plumbed and has a vibe pump.

erik82

#15: Post by erik82 »

No E61 will beat your Strega (unless you buy a KvdW Mirage). I owned one for over 5 years and the Strega is a great machine for the money. For your max budget I'd keep it and just save some more. I tried the Lelit Bianca but it's definitely not better then the Strega. I've owned some E61 machines before the Strega but the Strega was a real upgrade. Flow control with the Strega can easily be done and to a much greater extent then all the E61 machines mentioned in this thread. The strega gives you so much versatility that it's hard to beat in the range under 3000.

If you really want to upgrade you need to look at machines like the Strietman CT2, Londinium, LMLM, Bosco etc.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#16: Post by baldheadracing »

youssef1988 wrote: No will sell my lever...

And would like a machine that makes lever quality drinks
Mostly medium roast

And my big question is.. can it match the strega in flavor
No. The flavour will be different, as, for example:

- An E-61 is not capable of the initial very high pre-infusion flow rate of the Strega, as even double-boiler E-61's are restricted by their use of a thermosyphon circuit to also supply brew water to the group.

- Maximum pre-infusion pressure in the Strega is set at around 11bar. You can lower that pressure by turning off the pump earlier (or adjusting the over-pressure valve), but it is hard to achieve consistent results without a pressure gauge.

- The double spring configuration also produces a maximum spring pressure of around 11-13bar. A typical (rotary pump) E-61 is set at 9 bar pump pressure.

- There can also be a difference between a declining-pressure profile (lever) and a declining-flow profile - and also temperature profiles - but this is dependent on both machine and operator, and I have no experience with E-61 flow control.

However, a different flavour doesn't mean better or worse. I have had roasts that I prefer from the Strega; I have had roasts that I prefer from another machine.

Regardless, it is always fun to try something different. If you have the space/resources, I would suggest keeping the Strega around for a while after you get a new machine, and then decide on which machine to keep ... that's my plan for my next machine, although there is the risk of ending up keeping both :lol: .
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada
★ Helpful

Auctor

#17: Post by Auctor »

Another thread you might find useful.

Lever or profiling espresso machine for light roasts?

#18: Post by youssef1988 (original poster) »

Coming back to my earlier question...
youssef1988 wrote:And any people experience with the flow control? How is it? how is it compared to a lever?
Going for a pressure profile machine (like the rocket V60, rocket R91) or go for a ''real'' lever like the Londinium R24
at this moment I am leaning towards the londinium. but whats your opinion about this?
can a pressure profile match the taste of a real lever?
the extra features on those pressure profile look great...

And any people experience with the rocket R91?

coffee-nerd

#19: Post by coffee-nerd »

Even though I do not own the Londinium I really doubt that it will beat the Strega from a taste point of view.

Also think that the Londinium has much lower pressure than the Strega. For Medium/Darker Roasts (what I usually drink), I prefer the higher pressure of the Strega.

I "downgraded" from a Profitec 800 to the Strega 3 years ago. Never regreted it.

Just my 2 Cents.

coffee-nerd

#20: Post by coffee-nerd »

But I also have to admit that I get the upgrade fewer once in a while. I like the Dalla Corta Mina.

If I had too much money I would probably buy it :D :)