Thinking about replacing a Niche Zero with a Fellow Gen 2 Ode - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
ira
Team HB

#11: Post by ira »

I'm comfortable pouring very slowly from a Corvo, but I only bought it for hot water and would likely pull out the Stagg if I was going to do pour over. Also, pouring slowly from the Corvo requires a fair amount of concentration and I'm not sure I could control both the speed and location of the pour to get consistent results.

Moka 1 Cup (original poster)

#12: Post by Moka 1 Cup (original poster) »

Thank you. I ordered the Stagg EKG, the base model. I don't think I need the app.
What convinced me is that I have a small stovetop kettle with a very narrow spout. I like the Bonavita with the restrictor but I really prefer the slow pour of the other kettle. By watching videos the Stagg seems to be the closest one even if I was tempted to give the Hario Buono (electric) a try as well. For teas my wife uses a different kettle already so I don't think I'll buy the Corvo.

The Ode is working well, even if it needs to be cleaned more often than I expected.
Life, Liberty and The Pursuit of Happiness.

Advertisement
ira
Team HB

#13: Post by ira »

I've posted this about the Ode a couple of times, but I have a V1 and I never have to clean it:

You can add a very small amount to water to the beans, 1 or 2 drops stirred in is probably enough or at the end of grinding, place a finger about 1" from the rear of the hopper cover and press down gently, then lift up the front 1/2" or so and let the cover snap closed, that will usually blow the rest of the coffee out.

#14: Post by Moka 1 Cup (original poster) »

Of course. But I thought I could avoid adding water, since it is advertised as not needing it. Also the problem is that if I add one or two drops, due to the moderate slope of the "hopper" then I have to push some beans.
Not a big issue in either case, but so far it's the only negative I have seen.
I'm totally satisfied with the grind quality even if it is practically new.

#15: Post by Moka 1 Cup (original poster) »

Pour over corner almost completed :D .

I have to say that I am 100% happy with the Stagg pouring capability. The only problem I had was that I turned the base off two times while putting the kettle back in place. I'll get used to it. It works exactly at the speed I like.
Not 100% convinced about the built quality, both of the kettle and the base especially of the base.

I am actually now using the Acaia Lunar almost all the times instead of the one in the picture. I am not sure about the advantages of having a Pearl other than for the size (that I do not need with the Hario). I want to buy a second Acaia for this corner, but I am really undecided between the two models. The only downside that I see with the lunar is that the automatic start with flow does not work with pour over since it stops between pours.

ira
Team HB

#16: Post by ira »

If you can wait, the soon to be here Fellow scale seems like it might be an excellent scale for pour over duties. I've only seen Nick show me all the features, but it seemed quite well done.

#17: Post by Moka 1 Cup (original poster) »

Oh! Nice. That looks interesting. Thank you.
Do you know if the 'Brew Assist' is going to be tailored to their Stagg drippers only or if it will work with V60, Chemex and other methods as well?

Advertisement
ira
Team HB

#18: Post by ira »

As far as I could tell it should work with anything. But it was literally 5 minutes at a trade show, so...

#19: Post by Moka 1 Cup (original poster) »

Ode Gen 2, brand new.
First run. The initial retention is indeed 0.2 grams.

In:

Out:

#20: Post by Moka 1 Cup (original poster) »

Ode Gen 2, brand new.
Second run.

In:

Out: