Thinking about a new espresso machine with $1500 budget. Appreciate your thoughts

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
mawst95

#1: Post by mawst95 »

Hi all,

I'm not a newbie, but it's been a LONG time since I've needed advice from the experts here. I have had a VBM Domobar Super HX since...maybe 2014? I've had issues here and there--some of which aren't totally explainable. I had a power connector melt, boiler replaced, two heating elements burn out, a half dozen tank microswitches melt. I suspect that for the most part, these have been my fault. However, my heating element seems to have once again exploded. (This time I swear it wasn't my fault! LOL). Thankfully, for a long time I lived near Eric and he's become my de facto technician.

Although I intend to replace the heating element (and hope its fixed), my fiancé thinks I ought to replace it. I tried for a $3500 budget and was told NO. So I'm looking at about $1500-ish. Honestly, for what I need, that should be fine.

So what am I looking for. I drink 100% milk-based drinks. I've made the occasional espresso or americano for guests. The VBM is a behemoth and I can fit that on my counter, but smaller would be better. Fancy technical innovations appeal to the geek in me, but really why do I need it? I buy my fresh medium roasted beans, grind with my older model e37s, and get perfectly decent shots for my perfectly decent milk.

I can put it on a dedicated 20a circuit if that matters. I could even do a 220v receptacle if absolutely warranted. The way the machine is positioned, having the steam on the left side of the machine (when facing it) would be great, but not a deal breaker.

What ultimately matters to me is simplicity (for my situation) and robustness. That makes me wonder if a MaraX--which seems to be a upper echelon HX--wouldn't be better than an Elizabeth or Minima, both of which seem to be capable but more entry level double boilers. I considered the BDB, as it's a lot of wizardry for the price--but I don't actually need those features and I think the build quality while better than many expected, it still not top notch.

The machines I'm looking at are as I said the MaraX, Elizabeth, Minima, and I'd also include the Silvano Pro X. I've read a bunch on these here and elsewhere, but I wanted to know which you'd pick (or other suggestions) if you were me. I was thinking of waiting until black friday to see if I can score a deal.

If the machine was plumbable that would be an added bonus, but not neccessary. I don't have immediate plans to plumb, but the machine is located close to the sink and I have a capped off faucet opening grommet available. Thanks!

Matt

Jeff
Team HB

#2: Post by Jeff »

I think you're a bit over $1,500, but I don't think I'd have any challenges or significant frustrations working with the MaraX or Elizabeth. The Silvia has a couple design details I'm not thrilled about, such as the drip tray and its goofy early infusion. I don't see a lot of US support for ACS.

The La Spaziale DBs are worth considering. Open box and used machines sometimes come in around or under $1,500.

I'd also keep your eyes on the Argos, when it ships.

mawst95 (original poster)

#3: Post by mawst95 (original poster) »

Argos looks interesting but I would wait for v2 to buy something like that. I replaced the heating element and pump in my vbm but no water is being drawn into the boiler. Must have a clog somewhere.

My fiance is like throw that thing in the trash lol.

mawst95 (original poster)

#4: Post by mawst95 (original poster) »

Looks like this thread is going to be me thinking out loud. Just fixed my VBM. New heating element, new heating element gasket (turns out this is important), new vacuum breaker, and new steam wand gasket plug thing and new vibe pump. All easy repairs except for the fact the blown heating element had expanded and it took me an hour to twist and bend it out of the boiler.

If I do buy a machine it'll likely be the marax or elizabeth. Looked at the ECM classica but just seems like a PIA for someone who drinks 98% milk drinks. If you go with an HX, then the Mara seems best in class. For cheap DBs, Elizabeth seems like the choice. I did look at the Vivaldi Mini or Dream T. I really like the front loading water tank. Probably not a reason to spend 400 more dollars.

Edit: I should add the Silvano Evo in the mix. I understand the steam is a bit weak but I don't really mind that--or at least don't think I would mind. What I don't want to do is wait like I would for a SBDU.

I also don't see any switchable $1500 class machines out there.

mrmoon

#5: Post by mrmoon »

for $1500 dollars, i like this one

https://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/dilet ... and-walnut

saw and tested it in person last weekend, really liked it