Temporary Home Coffee Setup

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Cedar90

#1: Post by Cedar90 »

Hello!

I had to relocate for a temporary work assignment. Because I am only away for ~6 months, I decided to leave my coffee setup at home (Profitec Pro 300/Sette 270wi for espresso and Melitta cone/Encore for pour over). I thought that I would survive without a home coffee setup, but I am struggling. As far as a temporary setup goes, I am going to get a plastic Melitta cone, but I am debating what kind of grinder to get. Any budget picks for a decent grinder (even okay with a hand grinder)? In hindsight, I wish I brought my Encore with me.

Thanks!

jgood

#2: Post by jgood »

I would strongly recommend a small ("3 cup" -- actually serves 1) Moka Pot (the Italian one with the angled sides) over anything short of a real espresso machine. I would try it first with ground coffee (labelled espresso) and see what you think -- obviously fresh ground is better. When I go to a friend's place to ski I take the Moka Pot and and pre ground coffee and it's not too bad. If you want to add steamed milk to this a Bellman stovetop steamer is handy. Adding a hand grinder to the above would make a fantastic travel setup. IMHO way more satisfying (for an espresso fan) than a Melitta or Hario.

Decent Espresso: espresso equipment for serious baristas
Sponsored by Decent Espresso
NicoNYC

#3: Post by NicoNYC »

The plastic Melitta isn't too picky about grind, I used mine with a braun blade grinder for years and it made a fine cup. That said, an Aeropress might help scratch the espresso itch, it can make something that at least bests mediocre espresso - plus it gives you opportunities to experiment in case you miss that aspect of coffee.

Can't really give you advice for a grinder except spend more than the cheap Hario ones. They work fine but are hardly a fun experience to grind with or to adjust.

jgood

#4: Post by jgood »

NicoNYC wrote:Aeropress might help scratch the espresso itch, it can make something that at least bests mediocre espresso - plus it gives you opportunities to experiment in case you miss that aspect of coffee.
Should have added -- I tried the Aeropress and then switched to the small Moka Pot -- IMHO way better...

yakster
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by yakster »

Have you considered a Robot or Flair and one of the 1Zpresso hand grinders. Bellman for milk if you drink milk drinks.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

happycat

#6: Post by happycat » replying to yakster »

I was going to suggest this but wasn't sure about cost. I take my Flair travelling and love it.
LMWDP #603

Jeff
Team HB

#7: Post by Jeff »

The Robot seems like a great choice for relocation.

For travel, weight is of the essence for me. A plastic Melitta or V60 and a Porlex served me well for many, many years. I'd probably go with a 1Zpresso of some sort today (based on what I read to be reasonable grind quality at a reasonable price), as the hand-grinder market has improved dramatically since then. The Porlex was and continues to be sufficient for pour-over and is compact and not too heavy.

If going with a Robot or similar, the Porlex doesn't have what it takes for easily dialing in espresso.

BPlus: turning your coffee spirit
Sponsored by BPlus
NicoNYC

#8: Post by NicoNYC »

jgood wrote:Should have added -- I tried the Aeropress and then switched to the small Moka Pot -- IMHO way better...
Hah, I went the other way - I had a Moka Pot but didn't love it, but that was ages ago and probably with preground Bustelo/Lavazza. I preferred the better temp/time control of the Aeropress. I wonder if my Moka Pot is still boxed up somewhere, sounds like I ought to give it another try.

jgood

#9: Post by jgood »

Funny -- after tipping over the Aeropress one time too many I gave it up!
For Moka Pot try the technique of filling (below the pressure safety release!) with boiling water then put it together -- and don't let it sputter away when finishing, remove from the heat as it's filling with coffee, the "sputtery" stuff is bitter. And I said previously the little "3 cup" size (really one person) is way better. Sounds like a PITA but it's really not.

AJ_Grey

#10: Post by AJ_Grey »

Before I had a hand grinder I would use the Aeropress and buy the Lavazza Parfetto ground coffee. The Lavazza Classico is also good bit not as dark I prefer the darker roast in the Aeropress but they are equally good. This was my go-to for quite a while as well as for camping. It's widely available and makes a good cup of coffee. Better than chain coffee. It's easy to use since you boil water and that's about it.

I invested in a Comandante grinder recently and this will be the one I use for camping and work on occasion. I can grind for everything from Turkish to french press with it.
This may be a good time to explore some alternates to your usual coffee drinking habits. I just happen to be drinking an aeropress this morning because I didn't want to make an espresso. I used the hand grinder because it's easier to change settings.